Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine smokes

Visiting Guest

04-06-02, 04:53 PM   #1  
J A Boggan
Engine smokes

I just finished repairing a 16Hp OHV Tecumseh engine. It had a stuck exhast valve. Anyway, when I fired it up (it started very easily) it smoked terribly. When I had the head off, I checked the cylinder for scratchs, everything seemed fine. Is there anything, other than rings,that would make it smoke so "Badly"

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

04-06-02, 07:11 PM   #2  
Hello: J A

The questions to you are for how long did the engine smoke?
After running for a few minutes, does it continue to smoke? Knowing the answers to these questions may provide the problem cause.

There is a possibilty the valve guide bushings are scored or worn. The intake air breather to the crankcase may be restricted or plugged. Could be too much oil in the crankcase. Etc.

Kindly provide more detailed info.

Regards,
Tom_B

Visiting Guest

04-07-02, 04:45 AM   #3  
Fisher
On OHV engines, a blown head gasket could cause
the excessive smoking. Did you reuse the old head
gasket?
Fish

Visiting Guest

04-07-02, 06:53 AM   #4  
J A Boggan

Tom and Fisher,
I appreciated both of your suggestions. I did, in fact, replace the head gasket. I am going to dis-assemble the engine and see just whats happening. After talking to the operator, I was informed that the engine "did" smoke badly. I am expecting it just needs a ring job. This is truly a great forum. I found it just by accident.

Search this Thread