Parts

Old 04-08-02, 07:51 PM
J A Boggan
Visiting Guest
Question Question about parts

Could anyone tell me just what the term "aftermarket parts" means.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-02, 08:22 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: J A

Excellent question!
Should generate several varied replies....

Lets see...how can I describe this....????...Oh Yeah!

Aftermarket means after 10 years the orginal manufacturer {OEM} does not have to make parts for the product.

However, if there is still a small market for the part & money to be made selling it, another manufacturer will produce the part.

Alternate descriptions are welcomed...

Regards. Small Engine Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Efficient Services....
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Old 04-08-02, 08:22 PM
Fisher
Visiting Guest
Like with autos, NAPA, Autozone etc.. are aftermarket
parts suppliers. OEM parts you get at the dealer.

Old 04-08-02, 08:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hi J A Boggan...."aftermarket parts" refers to parts made by a company other than the one who originally made the part that the equipment came with. Say you need an air filter for your Briggs & Stratton engine. You can obtain air filters made by Rotary, Arnold, Prime Line, and many other manufacturers as well as Briggs & Stratton. Unless you bought one with the Briggs and Stratton name, you bought an aftermarket one. Aftermarket parts can be improved, and better....but usually they are sub-quality in comparison. Sometimes you can use an aftermarket part with no bad results, other times aftermarket parts are a waste of money and can actually cause harm to the equipment and/or operator. It depends on the application of the part to determine if it's ok to use an aftermarket one. Non-aftermarket parts are usually called O.E. , Original Equipment, or OEM.

Old 04-09-02, 01:45 AM
J A Boggan
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Replies

I really appreciate all three of you giving me an answer so promply.

Old 04-09-02, 01:57 AM
J A Boggan
Visiting Guest
Question Parts

Could anyone tell me of a good reliable dealer of small engine parts in the southeast. One that can supply a catalog.

Old 04-09-02, 06:26 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check online at www.google.com

That being said, just check your local yellow pages under "Small Engines, Parts" and you're likely to find a place just as reliable when you factor in shipping and timing.

Old 04-09-02, 06:38 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Cheese's description and analysis is right on the ball and the most accurate, except the last line.

Cheese: You meant "Original Parts" are sometimes called..........etc, etc, etc . (Referring to your last line).

Tom: Right off the bat, you can buy filters, plugs, oil, etc, for a brand new current machine from sources other than the original company (Briggs, Lauson, etc). This would be aftermarket .

O.E. parts are the same ones, or from the equivalent supplier as what was put into the thing when it was first made in production. If you go to Sears to buy your mower, it is made by someone for Sears. If you order parts for your engine for a Sears machine, you'll might get a part from the Sears man in a Tecumseh bag...because Tecumseh is the source for the engine. (So is Briggs and Stratton, and others, depending on the model in questions) Sears just reboxes/resells the same thing at a profit.

The best way to think about it is: If the parts have the same name/company/affliation as the equipment, they are OE parts. On small engines, it's a bit easier than cars.

Nippondenso supplies Toyota with their spark plugs. If you buy them from Toyota, they are OE. If you buy them from Nippondenso in a parts store, they are "aftermarket" (not from Toyota), however they are OE quality and equivalent. Same thing as what Toyota uses.

You can buy AC Delco parts for your GM vehicle through a parts store. This is considered "aftermarket", but the fact is the same GM # you'd buy from the dealer and the same part is in the parts store's Delco box as the GM dealers. Oftentimes, I buy the Delco version of the GM part for substantially less due to the discount structure!

Which is better? Cheese gave you the right idea and it surely depends. Sometimes OEM parts are no longer available and aftermarket parts are the only source. Many times aftermarkets improve on a problem or provide a consolidated part that will cover many different OEM parts. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Some aftermarket parts are BETTER than the originals (Ex: steel timing chain sets from Sealed Power and Cloyes will far outlast the original GM nylon ones)

I like to compare the prices. If the difference and availability is not that great, I might go OEM. If the aftermarket part is just as good and the price is better, I go aftermarket.

Another case in point: I put a cold control in my mother's 1967 GE fridge. The GE part was 98 bucks from a place I called. My local appliance parts supplier was 45 bucks. Since the thing is old, I went with the aftermarket part.

Newsflash: The Gemline part I bought was a GE part in the box. In fact, Gemline used to be owned by GE .

All depends .

Old 04-09-02, 09:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it's not an aftermarket part, it has to be O.E. , right? (or the wrong part altogether) That's what I mean by my last line.

Old 04-09-02, 09:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you looking for a consumer-type catalog? If you're looking for wholesale distributors, I can tell you a couple. If you want retail catalogs, do as Joe suggested and check on a search engine. Look up small engine parts and you'll come up with thousands.

Old 04-10-02, 05:16 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Give www.stens.com a try. If you have a taxpayer ID you can by wholesale from them. They are aftermarket parts but are some of the best I have used. They have a catalog and orders phoned or emailed in by 3 PM arrive UPS the next day in my area.
Anyone know anything about the Snapper/Wal-Mart deal. My local Snapper dealer has NO new parts coming in. Refered me to Wal-Mart! I never did stop looking for the hidden camera when getting that news....LOL....That deal should spark the after market Snapper parts lines......Mike

Old 04-10-02, 09:40 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ok, a round about way to say the same thing. It works . Lol.

Old 04-10-02, 10:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I heard about the Wal-Mart/Snapper deal too...and this is just hearsay, but I was told that walmart has had less sucess with the snapper line than expected, and wanted to reverse the deal, but snapper wouldn't let them. As far as parts, I haven't seen any at walmart for snappers, and my local snapper dealer is still going strong. I was told snapper told walmart "If we had the money to buy them back, we wouldn't have sold them to you in the first place." I don't know how much truth there is to this though.