Compression Question

Old 04-10-02, 01:51 PM
volleyballspkr
Visiting Guest
Angry Tecumseh OHV17 Won't Turn Past Compression Stroke

I have a Tecumseh OHV17 Vertical on a Huskee Rider.
Over the last year it got harder and harder to turn over until now. It won't turn over past the compression stroke. If I take the plug out it turns the engine over easy. I replaced the Battery and the Starter but it still does the same thing. Jumping the battery doesn't change anything. I checked the valves and their not sticking. What's up? When it starts it runs fine.

Moderator Note:

The subject line of your posting was edited to remove the brand name and consolidate the wording visable in the forum.

Forum Host & Moderator
Tom_B

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 04-10-02 at 08:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-02, 06:23 PM
Briggs_Man
Visiting Guest
I would say that the Valve lash is needing adjusted , the lash is to wide not letting the compression relase work. I got an old bolens in last year gave to me for parts because of that same reason and i adjusted the valves and she kicks over fine. But before it would hit compression and just bounce back.

Old 04-10-02, 09:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree...especially on that particular engine. The valves probably need tightening. I don't have the specs on hand for the valve lash settings. I ran into this problem today as a matter of fact, but it was a different engine.

Old 04-11-02, 07:15 PM
J A Boggan
Visiting Guest
Compression stroke

I recently had a similiar problem with a Honda OHV 11hp small engine on a portable generator. I had to competely disassemble the generator, so I turned the generator up on its end. I left it in this 'inverted' position overnight. The next day when I finished with the generator, I turned it back upright, I it would not turn to tdc on the compression stroke. After much thought about the promlem, I finally discovered what was happening. I noticed whenever I took the plug out, it was oil soaked. I then watched very carefully as I manually turned the crankshaft over and I noticed oil sloshing around in the cylinder. What was happening, was while I had the engine turn up on end, oil ran into the head space (possibly by the ring end gaps). So whenever I replaced the plug the engine was acting like a hydralic pump and when the oil compressed so far, that was it. I turned the engine on its side and drained the oil out of the head and cleaned the excess oil out of the carburator. After that the engine worked fine. That was really a head scratcher! Hope this my be of some help. If you somehow got a small quanity of oil on top of your piston, this just may be your problem.