Running Rich

Old 04-20-02, 01:18 PM
Fabguy
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Briggs running rich

I have a Poulan branded lawnmower with a Briggs engine. It starts right up on the first pull and runs great for about 4 seconds, then starts running very rich. Black smoke and all. There is no mixture adjustment on this thing, so I'm baffled on how to fix it.

BTW... Numbers are 10a902 2139 E1 99030351

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 04-20-02, 05:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
sounds like a stuck choke or clogged air filter. Does this engine have a choke, or push button primer?

Old 04-20-02, 05:41 PM
Fabguy
Visiting Guest
Bulb primer.. And it runs rich with the air cleaner off, or on...

I have already cleaned the carb and all the passages, replaced the spark plug, checked the armature gap.... I have done this kinda stuff on LOTS of Briggs motors before and I'm TOTALLY stumped on this one.... I think MAYBE it needs a new diaphram???

Old 04-20-02, 05:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Yes...I didn't look up your model #s, and didn't realize you had a pulsajet carb. The diaphragm will cause this if it has a hole, or has shifted around too much under the carb. Let us know how it goes!

Old 04-21-02, 09:09 AM
Briggs_Man
Visiting Guest
Could it be the old famous Nonadjustable Pulsa prime carb. If so just trash this carb and find another one that will work, I have 15 pulsa prime carbs and their all Junk. What happens is they have a fixed main jet and in my opionon The plastic carb body distorts and it pulls gas around and thru the jet. Causing the rich mix syndrom. Briggs has shot their selves in the foot with this Carb . Cause it is the biggest POS i have ever laid eyes on

Old 04-22-02, 09:42 AM
Fabguy
Visiting Guest
Yeah, it's the Pulsaprime... I just bought the kit that included the diaphram and new gasket. Cleaned the carb, and replaced the parts and now it runs like a top... For now anyway!!!

Old 04-22-02, 05:47 PM
Briggs_Man
Visiting Guest
Great i had forgotto add try the kit first and if that dont help, then junk it lol. I have had some work ok after the kit and some i dont think anything short of a 12 gauge shell could fix em.. Good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: