Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Questions

04-12-02, 07:44 AM   #1  
Toro Mower

I have a 21" Toro mower, model 26622 that is about 7 or 8 years old. Starting last season, the motor starting using a lot of oil and the spark plug had to be cleaned/changed after about 10 hours use as the gap was filled with carbon. The power in the unit was also way down.

Are we talking piston rings here and if so, is this worth it in a unit of this age? Is it cost effective for a repair shop to do it?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

04-12-02, 07:35 PM   #2  
Hello: ellersk

In my opinion, if there is a loss of power and a carbon buildup on the plug from oil burning, the engine is wornout and not worth rebuilding.

The other resident small engine service and repair professionals and moderators, may offer alternate or additional suggestions, advice & opinions. Check back several times for additional replies.

Regards, Small Engine Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Efficient Services....
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-13-02, 01:29 AM   #3  
I agree, and most reputable shops will not perform that repair on small push-mower engines. It can be done if the engine is otherwise in decent shape, but it usually doesn't last too long, and the mower itself usually doesn't warrant the cost. A new engine may be worthwhile, but even then, new ones are often nearly as much as the mower was to start with.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread