Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Vertical to Horizontal Conversion

Visiting Guest

04-12-02, 06:20 PM   #1  
VizualXTC
Vertical to Horizontal Conversion

I know that you can't just tip the motor on it side and have it run, but is it possible to maybe change the gas tank and carburator and have it run? What other problems would arise? Any help would be appreciated.

If's it's not possible where can I find something that can convert it, for a 5-20HP engine, so that I can run it on my go-kart.

Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus

CAL

04-12-02, 07:49 PM   #2  
Hello and Welcome VizualXTC to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

Attempting to convert a small engine as you described, will create internal engine lubrication problems. Chances are the oil will flood the pistons cyclinder area and the engine will not even start.

If it happened to start, it would not run for very long before there was internal engine damage. Best bet is to purchase an engine to fit the need.

The other resident small engine service and repair professionals and moderators, may offer alternate or additional suggestions, advice & opinions. Check back several times for additional replies.

Regards, Small Engine Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Efficient Services....
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Visiting Guest

04-12-02, 09:13 PM   #3  
VizualXTC
I don't know alot about the internals of a 2 stroke engine, but doesn't the piston on the vertical shaft engine run horizontal? If it runs horizontal how would the oil flood the piston chamber? I'm not sayin you're wrong, I'm just trying to get a better understanding. Thanks so much.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-13-02, 01:24 AM   #4  
The oil "pan" on a horizontal shaft engine is at the base of the engine, and it is at the base of a vertical engine too, so when you stand a vertical engine on its' side, the base is on the side and the oil doesn't go into the space provided for it. The internal oiling system on vertical engines will not even reach the oil if it is positioned horizontally, and the engine will fail in moments. There is no practical way to convert one engine style to the other.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

04-13-02, 02:57 AM   #5  
VizualXTC
Originally posted by cheese
The oil "pan" on a horizontal shaft engine is at the base of the engine, and it is at the base of a vertical engine too, so when you stand a vertical engine on its' side, the base is on the side and the oil doesn't go into the space provided for it. The internal oiling system on vertical engines will not even reach the oil if it is positioned horizontally, and the engine will fail in moments. There is no practical way to convert one engine style to the other.
Thank you so much, that is exactly what I needed to know.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-13-02, 10:11 PM   #6  
You're quite welcome! come back anytime!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread