Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Electric Starter Question

Visiting Guest

04-12-02, 09:50 PM   #1  
rlk
Kawasaki electric starter

Have John Deere rear engine rider lawn mower using 9hp Kawasaki vertical shaft, engine code FC290U-DS01.

It has recoil start.

Asked John Deere dealer about electric starter. Answer was they could sell me a battery powered starter kit.

Did some internet searching. Found engine code FC290V-S05, advertised as electric start engine.

Does anyone know if starter on FC290V-S05 is battery powered starter or a 110 volt plug it house current starter ?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-13-02, 01:36 AM   #2  
Your John Deere dealer should be able to tell you. That engine is a good one, and If i'm not mistaken, a change of flywheel and installation of starter and charging stator would convert it. The cost will probably blow your mind though, unless you can locate used parts. Kawasaki starters can run a couple-hundred bucks. I have never seen a 110 volt electric starter on any kawasaki engine before.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

04-13-02, 06:19 PM   #3  
rlk
Thank you. Purchased the mower a couple of years ago and inquired then at John Deere Dealer about adding starter...they guessed it was 200-300 dollars for starter battery wiring kit. Kind of blew me away...not familiar with Kawasaki engines...so I just filed info away...engine does run well and normally starts on 2nd pull...my only problem is my wife does not have enough power to pull the recoil to start it. During my searching the web last evening I came across a site named JacksSmallEngines.com where they list that engine with the electric start...for a price of $375. Can't believe that is accurate price for that engine...and with starter...yikes...for that I would be better off just getting a whole new engine even though I don't need it....I have looked at flywheel...it has teeth...

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-13-02, 09:46 PM   #4  
If it has teeth, then that's one part you don't need. The price on that engine sounds very reasonable...a bargain in fact. You also need to keep in mind that you will need a switch, wiring, and battery to convert the engine to elec. start. Keep us posted on what you decide.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread