Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

replacing flywheel and gearring?

Visiting Guest

04-14-02, 06:04 PM   #1  
sleeper
replacing flywheel and gearring?

ok i have a western auto lawnmower with a briggs&stratton engine.the model number is ayp7124a59and the factory is the same. im replacing both the flywheel and the gearring as you know,i have the flywheel off and was wondering how i would get the gearring off? should i use a pulley or is there a pin or something to be removed? thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-14-02, 06:05 PM   #2  
sleeper
oops i forgot to say that its a 12.5 horsepower engine if that matters.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-14-02, 07:39 PM   #3  
The ring gear is held on by four rivets. On the underside of the flywheel, you will see the 4 rivets going through the ring gear, to the flywheel. The heads of the rivets must be drilled or ground off. Then use a punch to drive the rivets out and install the new ring gear. The new one will come with screws and lock nuts...make sure you install it right-side-up.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

04-17-02, 06:14 PM   #4  
sleeper
ok i might have not gotten the flywheel off??

i have the top fan part off but the metal part where the gear ring is still attached to is is still on the mower. do i have to use a pulley to get it off or is there something else holding it on?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-17-02, 11:31 PM   #5  
There is either a cranking ratchet that needs to be removed or a nut or bolt. If it doesn't have a pull start, then it has a nut or bolt at the center of the flywheel. Remove that and there is a puller made for removal of the flywheel. An automotive harmonic balancer puller will also work. You can rent one of these at Autozone, for free. (you pay them, but when you take it back, they give you your $$ back). Make sure they give you the assortment of puller bolts with it.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

04-18-02, 08:51 AM   #6  
Joe_F
I just bought a harmonic balancer puller at Sears last week.

Made in America, lifetime warranty, and 18.99 with 10% off .

I believe KD tools (owned by Danaher) makes it for Sears.

Visiting Guest

04-18-02, 02:35 PM   #7  
sleeper
thank you that was what i needed to know. will let you know the results but it might be awhile, im slow.

Visiting Guest

04-27-02, 04:52 PM   #8  
sleeper
thanks guys!!!

i got the part for around$50 and the puller for around$17. still couldnt get it of though it kept spinning with me. so i took it to a repair shop and got it fixed with just a labor charge of just $20. so all in all around $87 to get it fixed and end my headache!!haha. now i just got to get my deck aligned!!
thanks alot for the help!!!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-27-02, 10:36 PM   #9  
Great!! Let us know if we can help with the deck alignment.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

04-29-02, 04:31 PM   #10  
sleeper
help with deck?? ok!!!

i cant seem to get my deck aligned on the left side facing back to front it seems to cut ok but not even with other side and sometimes it will cut into the ground. im not sure if its to low to the ground or something else is wrong.and it only does it on this one side. any ideas?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-29-02, 11:34 PM   #11  
Most commonly a bent blade would be the problem. Also, the front of the deck at the bottom could be bent down and catching the ground as it moves. Do both sides of the deck go up and down when you raise/lower the deck?

God bless!

Visiting Guest

05-12-02, 06:54 PM   #12  
sleeper
think ive just solved my deck problem

yep i believe i did
i flipped it over friday so im pretty sure its all messed up now.im sore and bruised but still living so thats a good thing.so i guess im going to look for a new one this week.good thing ive asked all you guys about the best ones ive got something to go on now thanks.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-12-02, 10:37 PM   #13  
Wow! How did you do that? I'm glad you're OK. Are you certain that your mower is shot now?

God bless!

Visiting Guest

05-18-02, 06:02 PM   #14  
sleeper
howed i do that?

well,i would say my brakes wernt working right. at least not at that time . i was backing up to turn around and went to far i guess. i went off the concrete (which the blades hit),and i guess by the time i got the blades turned off,which thankfully i did,it was just to late.couldnt stop.even tryed putting it into a forward gear but still was to late i guess. wife said that was enough time to get a new one. i havent checked to see if its ok or not i think it is though i drove it back home after i got it out of the trees,with my brothers help.but i havent checked the deck yet.it knocked the hood off of it but that seems to be the major damage. im more worried about the deck than any thing.im just going to by new blades so i wont have to bother with the old ones. my new one?...a john deere gt225 automatic with cruise control!!! but i would like some info on it like how good is it for towing and for attachments?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-18-02, 07:45 PM   #15  
I am not familiar with this mower, but you should be able to find plenty of "consumer reports" style rating lists online. Do a search on consumer reports John Deere GT225. You could also check with the techs at your JD dealer. Congrats on your purchase!

God bless!

05-19-02, 03:06 AM   #16  
That JD come with a roll cage? Just kidding, my son has flipped them backwards with the blades still running. Man can get hurt real quick on these things. Glad to hear the only damage done was to the mower.

Visiting Guest

05-20-02, 02:17 PM   #17  
sleeper
mower

no roll cage but i bet if i asked they would have one!!! ok now, im getting upset!! how did yall get those pics by your names and can i have one??

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-20-02, 11:24 PM   #18  
At the top of this page, click on user cp. Go to options, then to the bottom of the list of options. There you will see Avatar. Click in there and find the pic you want.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

05-30-02, 04:30 PM   #19  
sleeper
thanks

still havnt checked out the old mower yet...still playing with the new one and loving it!!! love the automatic drive on it.but do wish i had got a big enough one for attachements instead of just a hauler.
thanks cheese for all the help and for telling me how to get those pics like yall have!! maybe it will show up with this reply? hope so.again thanks.
you can delete this forum if you want to i think its got long enough dont you?
dont worry though knowing me ill be back soon enough

Search this Thread