riding lawnmower

Old 04-15-02, 11:13 AM
rhaverly
Visiting Guest
riding lawnmower

I bought an older model John Deer riding lawnmower from my neighbor a few weeks ago I did the quick inspection and it started up okay.-- He even drove it to my house..

Just recently I was able to start her up to mow our lawn for the first time this year. As I get 3-4 minutes into the job, the mower dies. I check for gas, and thought might be a little low, so I added some gas and continued mowing for another minute until it died again.. It sounded like gas was not getting to the motor, So I pulled one of the gas hoses of to see if gas was coming out.. It was not, until a few short seconds then it started to spill out. I quickly plugged the hose back, then started it up for another 30 seconds -- and it died...... Want to keep a dummy busy for a few minutes like me? Keep unplugging hose to get fuel to come down , plug it up, start engine and cut your yard in 30 seconds intervals.....

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-02, 11:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What make and model engine do you have? Likely a kawasaki. They have fuel pumps, and yours might be bad, or have a laeky hose to the crankcase, or the fuel cap vent is closed. Most likely the latter. Some caps have a thumbscrew on top that must be open during operation, otherwise, try running it with the cap loosened and see what happens. Let us know!

Old 04-16-02, 08:26 PM
rhaverly
Visiting Guest
riding lawnmower

Its a 11hp Briggs and straton.. not sure the year.

There a screw like thing on something that the hose goes to but i turned it both ways and noticed no diffrence.

Old 04-16-02, 09:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That is a fuel shutoff valve. If it is bad or in the wrong position, it will cause your problem. Have you tried it with the cap loosened? Try removing the fuel line from the carb and letting the gas run into a glass jar for a little while. Watch to see if it stops, or slows to a trickle.