Lawn tractor does not start

Old 04-15-02, 02:21 PM
Joeshar
Visiting Guest
Lawn tractor does not start

Hi,
I have a sears lawn tractor ( 2 years old). It does not start. As I trun the key to start position, hear a continues noise until trun the key into off position. The sounds coming from where the starter is, near by the gear. I do see that starter push pinion up and lock into the gear, but does not turn. Any suggestion?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-02, 02:49 PM
Group Moderator
First thing to check would be freedom of rotation on the engine, which can be a little hard to do if it's a belt-drive rider. Best way and safest probably to remove screen on top of motor and see if you can turn the motor over by hand. If it won't turn, try removing the spark plug. If engine turns freely, suspect the starter. Try removing it and then applying power to see if it appears to operate normally. Good luck.

Old 04-15-02, 11:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree, try to turn the engine by hand...with the ignition off. If it doesn't turn, remove plug and try. If it does, you probably have a fuel or oil locked cylinder due to engine being tipped or fuel leaking into the crankcase or cylinder. If it still doesn't turn, make sure the starter gear is not stuck in the flywheel, if it is, push it back down and see if the engine turns. If so, replace the starter bendix...(The drive on top of the starter). Let us know how it goes!

Old 04-20-02, 12:10 AM
bwiesner
Visiting Guest
Check your battery it is down and not putting out enough amps to keep the solenoid engage causing the clicking sound. You may get buy with just charging it, if not you will have to repalce it. Later Butch

Old 04-20-02, 12:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ah yes...sometimes we jump right into the deep end before checking the water. Good call bweisner. A low battery will cause this. A bad solenoid can also do it. Thanks for covering my back!

Old 04-23-02, 10:53 AM
Joeshar
Visiting Guest
Thanks everyone. It was the battery. I should been more methodical in testing the battery.