Ignition Problem

Old 04-14-02, 04:06 PM
Tecumseh- no fire

Tecumseh Power Sport
Engine #- OHH60 71106C
Engine fam, - WTPXS 1961AB (6 may be a 5)
6 hp

Can't get any fir eon this go-cart. Tried to get fire showing from ignition with screwdriver near the engine to see if the ignition system was firing and got no fire. I disconnected the kill switch and the start switch near the steering wheel. I even removed the connector on the block where both wires are attached and moved the wires out of the way, so they could not ground against anything.

Any comments are appreciated by me and my grandson.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-02, 07:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
On the armature there is a spade connector for the kill switch. Disconnect that, and if you still have no spark when checked properly, the armature is bad. Try using a spark tester, or a new spark plug grounded to the engine to test, rather than a screwdriver. Let us know what you find!

Old 04-15-02, 06:43 PM
on the trail again

Okay, what I did was, cleaned the rust from the magnet, reset the gap and removed the kill wire from the spade terminal and taped it off. Got fire. Put the wire back on the terminal reassmbled the shroud and pull rope. Got no fire. I kept getting a reading from the junction terminal for the two kill wires to a ground. Finally I noticed the terminal for the two wires actually was a double terminal, but one of the wires, the one from the kill switch on the motor, attached with the screw that fastened the double terminal to the engine. The extra terminal end had gotten turned around and was against the engine causing it to ground out just like one of the kill switches was flipped to the off position.

Tx for the feedback

Old 04-15-02, 06:53 PM
cold kart

Tecumseh Power Sport
Engine #- OHH60 71106C
Engine fam, - WTPXS 1961AB (6 may be a 5)
6 hp go-kart

Got this thing running, but it seems pretty cold collared as we call it there. Seems to have to run a little befor eit wants to take any gas. My son says i thas always been this way, since he has had it. What do I do besides adjust carb to fix this ( if it is ajustable). I did adjust the idle, maybe too much, it wants to spin ttoo easy.

Would adjusting the armature affect this?
=================
Moderator Note:
This posting has been merged with your other posting since it is pertaining to the same topic and engine.

Kindly use the REPLY button to add information or ask another question on this same topic. Doing so makes it easier to follow along for the moderators and readers of your topic.

Thanks,
Forum Moderator
Tom_B

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 04-15-02 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-15-02, 11:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When you say it wants to spin too easy, do you mean it acts like it has low compression? The armature must be set correctly, and you may have a carb problem. Those are fairly well known for lean conditions at startup. If your carb has an air/fuel screw, back it out .25 or .50 turn. If it doesn't, you may need to clean it well. If you have low compression, fix that first.

Old 04-16-02, 03:16 AM
do you mean it acts like it has low compression?

Sorry, I was being interrupted when I posted. I mean the wheel seems to spin too easily when the clutch first engages. I did adjust the idle speed up a little. I am wondering if I need to adjust it back down so the engine has to rev a little more to correct this. I don't know how many rpm's I have it set to, but I hate to think the clutch might prematurely wear from the engine being idled almost to the point if clutch engagement.
I didn't take the time to see if it has an air/fuel adjusting screw I feel I need to lower the idle speed so there will be a little more delay time bfore the clutch engages. When a small kid gets on it and starts off to the left taking weight off the engine side on concrete, the wheel spins to the point of barking the tire. Comments on lowering the idle to solve this?

P.S. Have another guestion on this kart and will post it seperately.

Tx

Old 04-16-02, 08:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You're right about the premature clutch wear, and lowering the idle will help that, but I don't think it will help to keep the wheel from spinning. Sounds like you have a healthy engine, and not enough weight to keep it down. Make sure your tires aren't too full, which would reduce traction by making the center of the tread become convex rather than flat. (you'd be riding on the center portion of the tread instead of the whole tread). Kids tend to give it all-or-nothing, and when they want to go, they floor it. If the engine can...it will, just like a car. They may have to throttle up gradually instead of all at once. If they're like I was when I was a kid, there's no way you'll get them to take off gradually, lol

Old 04-17-02, 03:19 AM
I will tell them to check pressure in the tires, especially the roght front that I had to put air in (didn't have my gauge). I called myself putting in about 10 lbs.

there's no way you'll get them to take off gradually, lol

Heheh, guess we all a 'need for speed' at some point.