Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

starter problems

Visiting Guest

04-16-02, 04:04 PM   #1  
bigphil31
starter problems

I have a 1994 murray riding mower 14hp and am having trouble starting the mower. I have tested the battery and it is fine. I have also replaced the selonoid. Prior to replacing the selonoid I was able to short the selonoid by placing a screwdriver on the two post and I could get the mower to start. However, this week when I tried this all I got was sparks. Hence, I replace the selonoid thinking that was the problem. However, after replacing-making sure I connected everything back exactly as before-I get nothing. No turnover, no sound period. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-16-02, 08:16 PM   #2  
What make and model engine do you have? The starter is likely your problem. Test for power at the starter connection. If there is power, and the starter gear is not jammed into the flywheel, and the engine is not locked up, then your starter is bad. Let us know what you find. If the starter is bad, we may be able to help you fix it rather than buy an expensive new one.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

04-17-02, 02:17 PM   #3  
bigphil31
the engine is a Brigs and Stratton engine 14.5 HP, I don't have the model number currently as I am writing this from work. However, I did try to connect the positive lead from the battery directly to the small lug (screw) where the red cable leads into the starter, using jumper cables. all I got was a little smoke (?), since I was afraid I did something wrong, I removed jumper cables quickly. Needless to say what I did, didn't work? Any suggestions, or do you need the model #?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-17-02, 11:34 PM   #4  
The info you gave me is enough. There is a cover over the starter gear...held on by two 1/4" screws. Remove it, and look at the starter gear. If it is jammed into the gear on the engine, that is your problem. If it's not, then the starter is bad.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

04-18-02, 03:12 PM   #5  
bigphil31
You hit it on the nose. I took the cover off and the starter sprockets were jammed. I knocked the sprockets back down and it started without any problems. Thanks for the help, saved me a repair bill.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-18-02, 11:00 PM   #6  
Great!!! Glad you got it going! If the starter bendix has too much wear on it, it may happen again. If so, it is easily repaired, and for about 20 bucks or so. Hopefully it will not cause anymore trouble. Take care!

God bless!

Search this Thread