Pressure washer shuts off

Old 04-17-02, 09:34 AM
Quam
Visiting Guest
Question Pressure washer shuts off

Ok this is my first post and I have most of the info I think you may need to help me. I have a 6hp craftsman gas powered pressure washer.

I can start the unit fine with the trigger pulled in to relieve pressure from the pump. The problem comes in when I release the trigger. This automatically kills the engine.

If I start the unit in high pressure mode (2,000 psi) it will only run a few seconds before dying.

I have done the usually inspections of the air filter, spark plug, water inlet, and wand screens and all seems to be fine. I don't mind doing the engine or pump work myself, but I am not sure where to start.

thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-02, 11:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think you probably have internal pump problems. A relief valve is probably stuck. These pumps with the vertical shaft engines are a pain and not well built. The valves are plastic and cause a lot of problems. A new pump shouldn't cost much, and would be the best way to go, but a pump repair kit would probably solve the problem, but not always. I seem to remember the pump runs around 100 bucks on most of these, depending on model. There may be an external access to the relief valve on the pump, you could try taking it out and inspecting and cleaning it.

Old 04-18-02, 08:12 AM
Quam
Visiting Guest
THanks for the info. I will look at it again and see if I can find an external relief valve. If that doesn't work, looks like I may get stuck buying a new pump, as sears will probably end up charging me that much to fix the existing one anyway

Old 04-18-02, 08:40 AM
ramcat
Visiting Guest
Cheese has the right answer. I have the same pressure washer with the same problem. I was lucky and the problem occured during the warrantee period. A new pump will cost about $300 for a 2300 PSI. You can repair yours for about $100.

Old 04-19-02, 07:17 AM
Wildo
Visiting Guest
Ouch, $300 bucks for a new Pump?

I am in the market for a Pressure washer and sure donít want any problems like this. Does anyone have any good ideas about a good, reliable middle of the road pressure washer that will do light work like cleaning siding, aluminum flashing, gutters and decks? I have a HD Pro Book and they have listed a Honda 11HP washer, a little too pricey, $987 and a GENERAC 6.0 Hp Gas Pressure Washer 2300 PSI with a Briggs and Stratton engine thatís $397, more along my price range. Any ideas. Are there better ones out there?

Thanks,

Will

Old 04-19-02, 11:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
My only suggestion is to steer away from any pressure washer with a vertical-shaft engine that sits above the pump. Go with one with a horizontal engine. The main thing to remember when using your washer is to shut it off if you're not spraying with it. Letting them run without actually using it ruins them quickly...and always run it with the siphon tube in a bucket of clean water when you're done using cleaners. As for brand names, there are so many I can't keep up with them. Honda engines are top-notch, and Briggs is a good company too. Techumseh engines, however, I don't favor.

Old 04-20-02, 06:17 AM
Quam
Visiting Guest
I have looked for the pressure relief valve and can't seem to find exactly where it is at. There is a thermal relief that I can get to externally, but do I need to pull the pump to find the pressure relief??? Just want to make sure before I tear it apart.

Old 04-20-02, 05:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The best thing I can suggest is to remove the pump and disassemble it on a clean bench, taking careful note of where each piece is and how it is positioned. Clean any trash, deposits, and corrosion. Inspect the white plastic valves and o-rings for deterioration, replace if needed, and reassemble. I seem to recall being able to acess the relief valve through the wand hose connection on some of these. Take the wand hose off and look into the hole and it may be threaded inside so that the valve can be unscrewed and removed. I'm not sure if I'm remembering right though.