Lawnmower engine revving

Old 04-23-02, 11:09 AM
RKuban
Visiting Guest
Lawnmower engine revving

I have a lawnmower with a 4 hp Briggs and Stratton engine that constantly revs after it starts. The mower starts fine but after it starts it acts like somone is pumping the accelerator of a car. It is only 2 years old and this started after my wife flipped it and flooded it with oil. I replaced the spark plug, air filter, and the muffler (dented) and changed the oil. After all that it still revs. I cleaned the blade and lubricated it so the blade is not binding.

What am I missing? I am not a mechanic but am familiar with engines.

Old 04-23-02, 04:18 PM
bwiesner
Visiting Guest
It is always best to post model, type and code no. when asking spefic questions about and engine. Most of the time when an engine surges it is because it is running lean. On occasion it can be the govenor. Hold the govenor arm still and see how it runs. If it runs smoothly it is in the govenor, but if it dies it is in the carb. When you say blade I assume you are refering to the air vane on the gov. Make sure when you put the cover back on it is not bent and interfering with the vane and causing it to surge. Later Butch

Old 04-23-02, 08:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Most likely you will need to remove the carburetor, clean it, and replace the diaphragm. Let us know what you find!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: