Ignition Spark Problem

Old 04-23-02, 07:29 AM
Iceman
Visiting Guest
Angry LawnBoy - no stinkin' spark!

All right fellas, I read all the posts I could find on ignition spark and grounding, but, I'm not sure on how to test the solid state ignition module.

I've checked the gap of the module, installed new plug, checked the ground cut-off cable/mechanism - everything seems ok.

I'm unable to see, hear, feel any spark at plug wire end - with new spark plug in or with a screw driver inserted into the end with me holding the metal screwdriver and someone pulling the start cable.

Perhaps the plug wire is defective? or the ignition module? How can I check it?

The mower ran last summer with no problems. LawnBoy Silver Series 4.5 hp.

Thanks for any help you may offer, Iceman

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-02, 08:00 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Iceman

Your correct in thinking the problem may be in the spark plug cable. Which may be a built in part of the spark module.

The problem may simply be the spark plug wires end cap. If you can slip the insulation boot up enough to inspect the connection, the problem may be there under the boot cap.

Physically remove the grounding wire from the clip it's installed into near the throttle cable. Doing so may allow the current to reveal a spark upon cranking.

The spark module may be defective. The tester and testing method must be done at a small engine repair shop. Most shops do not have the equipment, therefore, module replacement is required but may not be the problem.

Most likely I have not covered all of the potential problems. Only what I could think of at this time. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals and moderators, may offer additional suggestions, advice & help. Check back several times for additional replies.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any and all additional information, etc. By doing so, the additional information you add will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards and Good Luck, Small Engine Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Efficient Services....
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Old 04-24-02, 04:47 PM
bwiesner
Visiting Guest
I have lost out on Lawn Boy mowers in the past few years and am not familiar with your mower. The older models had two type ignition modules on them. One you disconnected the kill wire at the module and the other you used a jumper wire and grounded out the ignition module to test it. Anyway it won't hurt anything to do it this way. It may be your kill system is not opening the switch enough to open the connection. Later Butch