Engine Maintenance

Old 04-25-02, 07:51 PM
Senna
Visiting Guest
how to take care of a motorcycle engine ?

I have a Honda SL70 motorcycle( I guess you would call it a minibike). I had it running about 5-6 years ago but haven't touched it sence. I had left a little bit of gas in the gas tank and I was wondering what is the best way to clean it out. I also need to clean the carborator really good and was wondering what the best method for that would be.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Senna

Old 04-26-02, 02:34 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shine a flashlight down into the gas tank (I'm assuming it's steel), what's the condition? Is it rusty or just varnished and stinky?

Old 04-27-02, 05:02 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Senna

Motorcycle engines are not all that different from any other small engines used on power equipment when left unused for extended periods of time.

Any engine left unused for extended peroids of time is most likely going to have more than stale fuel related problems. Any fuel left in the tank has long since evaporated and left behind residues which have turned to gums and varnishes, etc.

Moisture has entered both the fuel and lubricating systems, which means your going to have to at least flush the entire fuel system and oiling system.

I would recommend starting with tank removal and pet **** removal. Clean and flush the tank and petcock and replace the fuel hose the fuel filter. Fuel hose deteriorates over time and age too. Replace it also. Failure to do so will cause future leaks.

The carb has to be removed, soaked in carb cleaner and a full replacement rebuild kit correctly installed. A task you may not want to due yourself, if you have never done it before. The carb may not appear to be complex but it is simply because it has to operate over a wide range of RPM's and engine loads & speeds.

You'll also need to change the oil, air filter, etc. I would highly suggest you also add an ounce of oil directly into the spark plug hole and crank the engine either by the kick starter or by hand.

Doing so will allow oil to spread over the bearings and other internally lubricated parts without the engine putting any combustion loads on them.

You may find it difficult at frist to turn the engine over. If so, the unlubricated parts may have pitted or become frozen together with rust etc. Even if cranking the engine isn't difficult at first, does not ensure that internal damage isn't about to occur.

Beside the parts in the engine, there could be several other parts that require lubrication to have become damaged from lack of useage and being oiled. The gearbox, transmission and other powertrain parts, etc.

Although your motorcycle may not have all these and several other possible and potential problems, others have had them. Electrical problems may also be present and or develope. The brakes and tires have also deteriored and may need to be inspected and or replaced. Just an advanced notice for you to consider and be alerted to.

Most likely I have not covered all of the potential problems. Only what I could think of at this time. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals and moderators, may offer additional suggestions, advice & help. Check back several times for additional replies.

You may also want to post this question in the automotive forum. The professionals in that forum may also have additional information for your consideration.

Regards and Good Luck, Small Engine Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Efficient Services....
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 04-27-02 at 05:31 AM.
Old 04-27-02, 10:06 AM
Senna
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your reply Tom_Bartco and dirty dan,
I looked in the gas tank and it looks like there is a bunch of gummy stuff. Looks really nasty. I don't see as much rust as I do gum. What is the best thing to clean this out with? I plan on trying to do what I can myself and then take it to a repair shop for the rest. The kiickstarter has a lot of lag in it as you first start to crank it down. When it gets to about half wayit feels like it starts to grab. It has an oil leak from somewhere. Haven't checked into that totally yet and it seems as though the gears miss a little bit. As you can tell it needs alot of work. But I bought it about 8 years ago for $50 and had it running once. I really think it needs a new engine and everything. Any guess of what that might cost me if I were to venture in that direction?
As I run into problems I am sure I will post.

Is there an online motorcycle shop that I can order parts from if I need them?

Thanks again for the replys

Senna

Old 04-28-02, 08:08 PM
Senna
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your reply Tom_Bartco and dirty dan,
I looked in the gas tank and it looks like there is a bunch of gummy stuff. Looks really nasty. I don't see as much rust as I do gum. What is the best thing to clean this out with? I plan on trying to do what I can myself and then take it to a repair shop for the rest. The kiickstarter has a lot of lag in it as you first start to crank it down. When it gets to about half wayit feels like it starts to grab. It has an oil leak from somewhere. Haven't checked into that totally yet and it seems as though the gears miss a little bit. As you can tell it needs alot of work. But I bought it about 8 years ago for $50 and had it running once. I really think it needs a new engine and everything. Any guess of what that might cost me if I were to venture in that direction?
As I run into problems I am sure I will post.

Is there an online motorcycle shop that I can order parts from if I need them?

Thanks again for the replys

Senna

Old 04-30-02, 10:15 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Senna,
You should be able to clean the varnish out of the tank with carburator cleaner. While you're at it get the carb too! If the rust is minimal, you could put a filter in the fuel line (similar to used on lawn tractors).
I'm not sure how the kick starter is set up on Honda bikes. It could be a "throw out" gear that will loosen up with use. My old YZ250 Yamaha had a very short kick stroke. It's possible that's what you're feeling.
I would guess that your oil leak is from a shaft seal leaking form lack of use. Most of those can be replaced without having to crack open the housing. You can run it with a leak that's not too bad. Just check your oil very often.
It sounds to me like you have a fun project. I wouldn't get too carried away spending money on it though. I don't think those old bikes are worth a whole lot.
You may be able to find a good shop manual on e-bay or at your local bike shop.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: