Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawn Tractor Question

Visiting Guest

04-25-02, 10:36 PM   #1  
alton316
craftsman lawn tractor

can anyone tell me how to get my old lawn tractor to go faster.
I got a new mower, and I want to use my old one to run around
my campground in, but its 2 slow, is there anyway to speed
these things up?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-25-02, 10:50 PM   #2  
The easiest way is to put a larger pulley on the crankshaft, and/or smaller pulley on the transaxle. Take the deck off and make sure the tires are at maximum pressure too.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

04-26-02, 04:58 PM   #3  
alton316
This will increase the speed, by about how much.
and is there other ways?

Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

04-26-02, 05:59 PM   #4  
Points & Factors To Consider

Hello: alton316

There are always alternative means to increasing speed. As cheese mentioned, the easiest way is to change the pulleys and or the sprockets.

The other methods require engine modifications to a limited amount or a total engine replacement with a larger engine. The questions are how much $$$ will this cost, time it will take and are you willing to invest?

To install a larger engine means possibly making several modifications to the chassis, possibly several prefabrications and alterations, etc. Many of which are limited to the space available etc. The task can easily become difficult and expensive.

In some states lawn tractor racing is actually a sport. There are limits to the modifications that can be made in different classes of racers machines. Depending upon the class your machine is in, the more modifications that are allowed. The modifications in the different classes can be extensive and very costly.

In every case and every class there are hidden problems and expenses that are never known or that can not be figured in until the project gets started. Many may never complete the project do to the time required and costs involved.

Another factor to consider is the age and condition of the machine. Two small but worthy points to think about before proceeding.

If you have the need and or the desire plus the time & money, proceed. You learn plenty and may have a faster machine to suit your needs....

Regards and Good Luck, Small Engine Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Efficient Services....
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

04-26-02, 06:10 PM   #5  
mower

i would adjust the govenor up a little .thats what i did to mind and it is a 11 hp 38 inch deck

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-26-02, 06:59 PM   #6  
Adjusting the governor up will speed up the engine, but it will shorten the life of the engine too. Changing the pulleys can make as big of a change as you want. A small difference in pulley diameter will make a noticeable speed difference. The larger you go on the engine pulley, the faster you go. The smaller you go on the tranny pulley, the faster you go. If the pulley is just an inch or 2 diameter larger on the engine pulley, you will have a BIG difference in speed.

God bless!

Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

04-26-02, 07:37 PM   #7  
THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR HORESPOWER

Changing pulleys will obtain the higher top end speed but there are consequences & sacrifices to consider also.

More load on the engine throughout the entire rpm range is a major concern. What is gained in top end will be lost in low end and visa versa, depending upon which pulley is changed.

Making the changes should be done with caution and concern for the load on the engine based on the weight of the machine and any load it will haul and any incline it may have to ascend.

Engine lugging is not a condition an under powered engine will endue for a long period of time either. Excessive heat is a factor to consider, if the under powered engine is working too hard over an extended period of time.

With higher speeds comes extra loads on the chassis and steering assembly. Braking and steering factors to consider. Several other concerns to consider, many of which evade me at this time. I could be having a "Senior Momment" at this time but I think you get my drift here....

Visiting Guest

04-27-02, 07:51 PM   #8  
alton316
For some reason, I just cant seam to understand, how changing
these pully's will speed the mower up, what about the tranny
Are the gears not set for a specific speed.?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-27-02, 10:23 PM   #9  
It's like the gears on a 10-speed bike. The large gear turns more chain in one revolution than the small gear does. For one revolution of the engine, if your pulley is 10 inches around, then you just moved 10 inches of belt in one revolution. if your pulley is only 5 inches around, you decreased your speed by half, because it would take the engine 2 revolutions to move 10 inches of belt.

Most riding mower engines have enough power to increase speed considerably if you aren't going to use the deck. If you go from 12 HP to 20 HP, it won't really increase your speed if the engines are running the same RPM. If you speed the mower to a point where your engine lugs and overheats, then horsepower will come in as an issue. Any load to be pulled and braking and steering are some things to consider as Tom mentioned. Some mowers have brakes capable of skidding the rear tires if adjusted right.

God bless!

LA

04-30-02, 10:37 PM   #10  
Hopping up a small engine is something I never really considered. Do you guys know of any links for performance parts??

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-01-02, 11:29 PM   #11  
I have never looked online for them, but I'm sure there are several places to find them. ebay.com often has performance parts up at auction.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

05-02-02, 04:42 PM   #12  
alton316
How do you go about adjusting the governor?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-02-02, 10:39 PM   #13  
I do not recommend adjusting the governor. Engine damage will result if the speed is increased too far. Small engines in stock condition don't take well to high RPMs. The piston, rings, rod and especially the balancer will wear quickly and come apart. Ive seen brand new engines that were governed too high that only lasted a year or two. If you want to increase the engine speed beyond specifications, you will need performance parts, and the right engine to begin with. Unless you don't want it to run for long.

God bless!

LA

05-04-02, 04:47 AM   #14  
Alton-
Need to know what engine you have to tell you how to adjust governer.
Now, what Cheese said is 100% correct. If you adjust the governor to a higher RPM you will shorten your engine life. The guys building these things have them set up for maximum HP at the proper RPM. The crank, rod, cylinder wall, valve springs and piston are made for the design RPM. If you over speed it too much you can throw a rod in a matter of seconds. If your just playing with it to see what you can do and you don't really care if it crashes, give us the engine Model and Serial number and we'll see what we can let you know.

Visiting Guest

05-04-02, 09:16 PM   #15  
alton316
It is a KOHLER
Family--SKH426U1G2RB

Model--CV15S

Serial--2625508884

And Thank You

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-04-02, 10:20 PM   #16  
Hi alton....That engine is strong and well built, but somewhat prone to governor failure anyway...you could easily adjust your governed speed by shortening the governor tension spring, or by bending the governor-to-throttle linkage. The governor can also be adjusted by the actuating arm clamp itself, but it is a guessing game and not easy to control. (when you are setting it for anything other than stock specs.) You can use pliers to make a bend in the linkage a little at a time until you reach your desired speed. Be careful, if it blows it could grenade you with pieces of metal.

Keep in mind that I do not reccomend these procedures, for reasons mentioned previously.

God bless!

LA

05-06-02, 01:50 AM   #17  
Exactly what Cheese says!
Let us know how it runs (and how fast)!
Be sure you keep clean oil and filter on it!

Visiting Guest

05-06-02, 04:39 PM   #18  
alton316
Dude, I cut the size of the transaxle pully in half,
squeezed about 2" bigger pully on engine, bent the governor
linkage alittle bit. (clutch want work need to find a smaller belt)
but for now i just start it in nutreal slam it in 6th and the damned
thing wheeles had my wife drive next to me in car too see how
fast, goes about 18mph, compared to 6mph before. feels like
90mph.(oh yeah no brakes either) lol.
Thanks for all the info.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-06-02, 08:43 PM   #19  
LOL!!!! Sounds like fun! Have a blast with it.

God bless!

LA

05-08-02, 01:43 PM   #20  
Great!
If you can, post a photo with the wheels up!

Search this Thread