Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Starts, but does not stay running

PA

05-07-02, 06:49 PM   #1  
Starts, but does not stay running

Hello.

I have a 1996 Craftsman Lawnmower with the 5.5hp "Eager 1" engine. Up until the other day she had been running fine (have mowed the yard (0.25 acre) about 4 times this year) After nearly finishing the mowing job the engine started to sputter and act like it is out of gas. When I took it over to the driveway and shut it down it would not start. There is plenty of fresh gas in there, the oil was recently changed and is at proper level, and the air filter is not brand new, but is real clean.

When I prime the mower it will run until it runs out of its prime. (i.e. If I prime alot and set it to turtle speed it will run for about 30 seconds to a minute and die. If it is on the "hare" it will die much sooner.) I examined the inside of the tank and there is nothing blocking the filter. Any help is greatly appreciated so I can get the rest of the yard done! Thanks in advance~

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-07-02, 08:14 PM   #2  
Hi martin-30!

The carburetor is stopped up. Take the fuel line off and plug it. Take the bowl nut off ( At the underside of the carb) and remove the bowl. Clean out the trash and/or water in it, and look closely at the bowl nut itself. There are tiny holes in it that must be clear. One of these is stopped up most likely. Use a thin piece of wire or a small needle to clear out the holes. Let us know how it goes!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

PA

05-08-02, 01:28 PM   #3  
All done and it's running once again! Thanks.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-08-02, 11:11 PM   #4  
No problem. Glad to help!

God bless!

MD

05-09-02, 05:17 AM   #5  
Just an FYI. The best tool to do the cleanout is to invest in a Gas welding tip cleaner set.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-09-02, 11:04 PM   #6  
I agree, and use one often. Every size you need is right there in one little kit.

God bless!

Search this Thread