Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

wiring a lawn tractor

Visiting Guest

05-10-02, 05:11 AM   #1  
cleve m
wiring a lawn tractor

I have an older Sears Tractor, I am wiring in a new engine with a 12 volt starter, I am starting from scratch. I want to know some basic wiring from the battery to the key ignition ,to the solenoid, to the engine.I plan on taking off everything that is on the tractor, I will have just the frame to work with,(the tractor is approx: 30 years old)..... thanks...

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-10-02, 07:36 AM   #2  
Fisher
If you have a regular magneto type ignition, you
need to buy a keyswitch that is for it. On the
back of most keyswitches you will find letters
stamped on the terminals or beside them.
B,S,L,M,G
You should then buy a solenoid with 2 large posts
and one small one. One large posts needs to be
connected to the starter with a large cable, the
other post goes to the battery. Also on that post
a small wire should go from there to the terminal
labeled B on the keyswitch. From the S terminal
on the keyswitch, a wire should go to the small
terminal on the solenoid. The solenoid needs
to be bolted to the metal frame to work.
This is the starting circuit at its simplist form.
Untouched tractors are similar, but have fuses
and safety switches thrown in. The G and M
terminals are involved in stopping the engine
by grounding out the ignition. The G terminal
is grounded to the body of the keyswitch, and the
M should have a wire going to the small terminal on
the bottom of the ignition coil. A word of caution, make
sure that voltage does not get sent to the ignition coil,
or you will damage it. As far as the charging circuit,
we will need a little more info, such as engine make
and model numbers, and what kind of alternator wires
you have coming out of the engine.
Fish

Visiting Guest

05-10-02, 01:32 PM   #3  
cleve m
wiring a lawn tractor

Fish..the engine I am installing on this Sears Tractor is a Tecumseh 10hp,model # HM 100. The engine is a basic horizontal shaft unit, I fixed another tractor years ago but that engine was a rope pull start...nothing fancy there.I thought this time I would make things alittle easier on myself and go for the electric start. I printed out your directions...it should be a big help for me! thanks...

Visiting Guest

05-18-02, 03:08 PM   #4  
cleve m
wiring garden tractor

I recently purchased a tech repair manual for Tecumseh engines and the problem I am having is that I installing this 10 hp horizontal engine on a stripped down frame with no wiring. The engine has a 12 volt starter, I want to know if there are any wiring diagrams out there, to help an amateur like myself, to get this thing properly wired up .Oh! I forgot to mention that the tech manual seems to be for someone replacing an existing engine.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-18-02, 06:54 PM   #5  
If you wire it up per the instructions Fish gave you, you'll be done. It's easy. You could try www.sears.com, click on parts, go to diagrams. I doubt they will show a wiring diagram though.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

05-19-02, 05:30 AM   #6  
DanTheMan
I have a wiring diagram off of a Murray that is exactly like Fish described. Email me ([email protected]) and I will send it to you.

Visiting Guest

05-20-02, 05:40 AM   #7  
cleve m
Thanks Cheese and dan the man..I have an easy question here, there are 2 wires coming out of the engine block, close to the rope start, in the tech manual those wires are described as coming from an alternator to help charge the battery, my question is: do I have to use those wires? I don't plan on using any lights on this tractor!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-20-02, 11:40 PM   #8  
They are not needed for the engine to run, but your battery will not charge if you don't connect to one of them. One of the 2 wires will have a "lump" in it covered with black insulation just before the connector. That "lump" is a diode. That is the wire you want to use to charge the battery. Just wire it to the battery side of the solenoid. Don't cut out the diode though.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread