Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Pull Starter Problem

KY

05-19-02, 04:42 AM   #1  
ryobi 790r trimmer plus starter

Over the years ryobi 790r trimmer plus started fine, however, occassionally pull starter slipped. This year pull the starter pulls hard and very jerky where it is difficult to pull all the way out in a single pull. Tried looking at the starter, however was unable to remove clutch rotar assembly. I'm told you have to lock the piston in place (done) and screw it off. However, I am am unable to hand turn it in the is manner. Would I damage it if I were to use a pipe wrench or something else to unscrew it.

Anyone have any info on this subject, or know of any other sites with repair manuals.

Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus

CAL

05-19-02, 05:51 AM   #2  
Hello and Welcome Kennn to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

The best method and safest tool to use to avoid damage to the flywheel is a strap wrench. This tool should be available at any automotive parts store.

The removal rotation should be opposite the direction the flywheel turns when cranking the engine.

Since you did not mention how the engine runs once it is running, consider the fact that there could be another cause of the problem. If you do not find any causes for the hard and jerky pull starting problem, the cause may be within the engine.

Most likely I have not covered all of the potential problems. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help. Check back several times for additional replies.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any and all additional information, etc. By doing so, the additional information you add will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards and Good Luck, Small Engine Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Efficient Services....
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

During installations of some parts which may not fit exactly perfect, it may be necessary to apply "BRUTE" force in order to compel compliance......... {....just humor folks... }

Personal Quote:
"If it ain't already broke, don't fix it, tinker with it or $#@&*&%$#@! with it until you do break it!"

05-20-02, 04:04 AM   #3  
starter pulls hard and very jerky

Feel like starter clutch slipping and catching or like engine trying to seize? Check to see if the cylinder is full of fuel? If the cylinder is full, may want to take plug out and drain the fuel from the cylinder. Sounds like the starter clutch needs a little cleaning and oiling too. May be way off base here, but while you're tinkering with it anyway.....

If I am off base, I hope one of the pro's will let us know.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-20-02, 11:42 PM   #4  
It's a good possibility Boman. You're on track.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

05-21-02, 03:54 AM   #5  
Glad you agree, Cheese. Got that little pointer from you on a rider problem. If I had just thought, I would have remembered having that problem with a pushmower once; which, reminds me, kenn? If you are thinking of removing plug and pulling rope to blow excess fuel out, don't! I did that with the pushmower. I hadn't thought about the fuel being blown out on the coil wire! One spark from the coil wire along with the fuel coming from cylinder and WHOOSH! Had to hose the fire out.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-21-02, 09:06 PM   #6  
LOLOL! Not really a laughing matter, but I learned not to do that the same way you did! A guaranteed way to quicken the pulse! And possibly curl your eyelashes or worse!

God bless!

KY

05-22-02, 05:10 AM   #7  
I appreciate all the information. Won't be able to look at it till this weekend. Maybe I be able to wack some weeds afterward. I'll post the results. Thanks again.

AL

05-23-02, 07:17 AM   #8  
I've had a similar problem with my Mc chain saw a couple of times. It didn't want to spin over with the Pull cord and when I removed the spark plug a fuel/oil mixture dribbled out. After replacing the plug it started fine. What can be the cause of the excess fuel entering the cylinder? Both times this has happened it has been after a period of disuse.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-23-02, 11:20 PM   #9  
A leaking carburetor will cause this. It can be corrected by rebuilding the carburetor.

God bless!

KY

05-28-02, 06:10 AM   #10  
Was only able to fool with the ryobi for a few minutes this weekend. Home Depot ddin't have a strap wrench and I was unable to remove the clutch.

However I noticed something that may or may not be relevent. When I removed the sparkplug to remove excess fuel from the cyclender, I noticed that the pull starter pulled easily and smoothly without the jerking or binding. Could this suggest that the problem is something other than the starter. (There did not appear to be any excess fuel in the cyclinder). After putting the plug back in the hard pulling and jerking resumed.

With regard to the clutch removal I am unclear on one point. Would I remove the clutch by rotating it in the same direction of the pull used to start it.

Regarding the carbuerator, the motor does appear to have a lot of excess oil/grease on it as if something is leaking. Should I try rebuilding it to resolve the current problem or is there some test I could try to check it out. I'm thinking that rebuilding the carbuerator is not a huge task.

Thanks for all your replies

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-28-02, 09:25 PM   #11  
The fact that the engine turns freely without the spark plug is an indication that the starting mechanism is working fine, and clutch removal shouldn't be necessary. It sounds to me like the engine is fuel locked, or has other compression related problems. If the carburetor is leaking gas into the engine, it won't be visible on the outside of the carb. It needs to be determined that the engine has excess fuel in the crankcase before we lay the blame on a faulty carb. Try removing the exhaust and pulling the cord. It may be plugged.

God bless!

KY

06-11-02, 10:12 AM   #12  
Results

After removing the air filter as advised the earlier thread, the unit started right up. Thanks for all your help.

Search this Thread