Engine Starting Problem

Old 05-19-02, 09:45 AM
edevuono
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb featherlite weedeater

Thanks to all that responded.

I got the weedeater runnning only with full choke.
once I move to half or off the engine stalls.

Also, the throttle does not work will in full choke and will work in half choke but engine stalls.

Help, what next.

E.

Last edited by edevuono; 05-21-02 at 06:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-02, 11:25 AM
Admin Emeritus
More Information Requested

Hello and Welcome Edevuono to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

Might need more specific information to help diagnose the problem.

Does the engine crank?...yes or no?

Did you replace the spark plug?
{I assume you cleaned and replaced the existing plug.}
Could be simply a bad spark plug.

Have you tested for spark at the spark plug?
{If so, was there any spark?}

If the engine cranks and there is spark, could be there isn't any fuel getting into the engine. May be a gummed up carb.
{How long ago was the engine last used?}

Kindly supply more detailed information.

Doing so would greatly improve our chances of offering you specific corrective advice, helpful suggestions, technical problem diagnosis assistance, professional repair methods, proceduers and technics, possible parts causing the problem your describing.

In order to add more detail to this topic, click the REPLY button and it will allow you to add more detail. When a reply comes back but you still have another question on this same topic, use the reply button once again.

Regards and Good Luck, Small Engine Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Efficient Services....
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Old 05-19-02, 08:16 PM
edevuono
Visiting Guest
Re: More Information Requested

I replaced the spark plug with a new one. And yes there is a spark and cranks easily.

I also draind and refreshed the gas with new oil and gas.

Last used was over a month ago. It fired fine. Then when I went to use it, the cord would not move. After lubing and turning manually. I could not get it to fire.(with new spark plug)

Enzo

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 05-19-02 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-19-02, 08:35 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Enzo

Based on the new information you posted, chances are the engine isn't getting any fuel or the choking system isn't working. Be sure the choke is closing fully.

Remove the spark plug and add a few drops of fuel into the engine at the spark plug hole. Replace the plug and close the choke. Attempt to start the engine.

If the engine attempts to start or actually does start, even if it dies quickly, then it can be determined that fuel is not getting into the engine.

In this case, remove the fuel hose from the carb and allow some fuel to flow out into a container. The fuel should flow out of the hose freely. If not, check for a fuel restriction in the fuel supply system.

If fuel does flow out freely and continuously, the carb is most likely filled with stale fuel which has gummed up the fuel ports. In this case the entire carb must be removed, cleaned out and reassembled with a new carb rebuilding kit.

Most likely I have not covered all of the potential problems. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help. Check back several times for additional replies.

Please use the REPLY button and not the quote button to add any additional information or ask more questions on this topic. Thanks.

Forum Host & Moderator
Tom_B

Old 05-19-02, 08:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It sounds like you hava a fuel problem. Make sure the choke is closing, and the primer is circulating fuel. Is so, are you holding the throttle wide open while cranking? Try dropping about 10 drops of gas in the spark plug hole, put the plug back in, open the choke, and try to start it. If it runs for a second, you have either a carburetor or fuel line/filter problem.

Old 05-20-02, 03:38 AM
And yes there is a spark and cranks easily.

I could not get it to fire.(with new spark plug)

Little confused here. Do you now have good, visible spark at plug electode? Is it constant or intermitten?

Then when I went to use it, the cord would not move.

Was the mower stored outside? See any water bubbles in the fuel?

Have you checked the safety cut-off mechanism to see that it is working properly and not grounding the engine out? Make sure the wire and any connectors on the safety are not touching any metal when the safety handle is engaged (rust bridge, dislodging, loose, etc ). No pro here by a long shot, but I have spent quite a bit of time on a few small engines trying to figure why they were not firing to find out the engine was grounding out through the safety and the safety needed a little adjusting or cleaning. If no water in fuel and firing constantly at end of plug, defintly sounds like carb cleaning/rebuild time, or maybe primer replacement. This is assuming the flywheel gap is correct.

Like I said, no pro here. Just thought I would comment.

P.S. Point system or electronic? If point system, look for oil on the points. I have also had the plunger that works the points get worn and let oil get on the points.

Old 05-20-02, 11:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Tom beat me to the reply on my last post, lol. I didn't mean to repeat his advice, we replied at the same time. I agree it is probably carb rebuilding time. Don't worry about points or safety cutoffs as this weedeater doesn't have them. I think boman is thinking you have a pushmower.

Good advice boman, lol. I didn't realize it was a weedeater at first either.

Old 05-21-02, 04:02 AM
I think boman is thinking you have a pushmower

Heheh, yep. I seemed to have missed the weedeater part. I thought I was on a roll.
I have one doing the same thing have to run it on choke and too lazy to do the carb. No! Thats a pushmower. I think I will rest now.

Old 05-21-02, 06:22 AM
edevuono
Visiting Guest
weedeater stage 2

I first want to thank you and everyone that gave suggestions to get me to this stage.

Now that I have it running, it only runs with the choke in full.
As soon as I move the choke to half or off, the engine quites.

It's been cleaned, new spark pluge an fresh gas.

Could I have put something together wrong?

What do I look for?

E.

Old 05-21-02, 08:00 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: edevuono

There is always the possibility you incorrectly installed the diaphragm and the gasket on the carb body during the assembly. In other words they are installed in the wrong order.

Another possibility is all of the fuel ports and passage ways in the carb body are not totally cleaned or cleared out. This is indicated by the fact that to keep the engine running the choke must be closed.

Having the choke fully closed increases the fuel flow slightly but drastically reduces the intake air, which richens the reduced amount of fuel volumn.

I think I expained that correctly but it may be a bit confusing granted... Basically what it means is there is less fuel flowing in the carb due to the fuel restriction and the choke has to be closed to reduce the air volumn to compensate.

Simple Terms: The carb is still gummed up...

Regards and Good Luck, Small Engine Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Efficient Services....
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Old 05-21-02, 08:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You might want to try backing out the 2 mixture screws a quarter to half turn and see what happens. They may not be set right. If that doesn't work, you still have carb problems.

Old 06-03-02, 10:26 AM
JDI
Visiting Guest
Good answer , seems like the engine is not getting enough fuel so leaning it out some may work.

Old 06-03-02, 11:11 AM
edevuono
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by JDI
Good answer , seems like the engine is not getting enough fuel so leaning it out some may work.

Thanks everyone.
It works.

It has alway hesitated when the throtle was pressed but once running it runs.

Thanks