Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawn Tractor Question

Visiting Guest

05-24-02, 04:08 AM   #1  
J A Boggan
Kawasaki engine

My next door neighbor just purchased a new Gravely Pro-1548G pull behind lawn mower (48"). It is truly impressive. It has a Kawasaki two cylinder 15 Hp OHV engine (E/NO - FH430VA05496) type FH430V. I don't have any experience with a Kawasaki engine. Could someone tell me something about it; like reliability and ease of repair. The lawn mower uses a Peerless transmission.

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

05-24-02, 07:22 PM   #2  
Hello: J A Boggan

Best suggestion I could offer you is to advise your neighbor to purchase the service manual for that machine from the dealer. It's a wise investment, in my opinion.

Regards and Good Luck.
Web Site Admin, Moderator Hiring Agent, Host and Forums Manager. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician. Fast, Fair, Friendly and Highly Proficient...

Don't Take Freedom For Granted. Thank A Veteran. Need an Employee? Hire a Veteran

Not only is a mind a terrible thing to waste, it's like a parachute.

It doesn't function until it's OPEN.........

Elvis. "The Sun Never Sets On A Legend."

Gun safety is using BOTH hands!

Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-25-02, 12:54 AM   #3  
I agree. A service manual is the most important tool when maintaining/repairing a small engine. Kawasaki is generally a very reliable engine, and most of the time it will outlast the equipment it is mounted to.

As with all engines, service it regularly, keep the air filter clean, keep it maintained. Parts are expensive, but rarely needed. The starter alone for that engine probably runs at or over the $300.00 mark. They aren't too hard to repair when something does go wrong, but they are a little more complicated than the average Briggs engine.

Peerless transaxles are standard on many brands of mowers, from near bottom to top of the line.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

05-25-02, 04:38 AM   #4  
J A Boggan
Thanks Cheese, you comments were just what I was looking for.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-25-02, 08:57 PM   #5  
Anytime!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread