Lawn Tractor Question

Old 05-24-02, 04:08 AM
J A Boggan
Visiting Guest
Kawasaki engine

My next door neighbor just purchased a new Gravely Pro-1548G pull behind lawn mower (48"). It is truly impressive. It has a Kawasaki two cylinder 15 Hp OHV engine (E/NO - FH430VA05496) type FH430V. I don't have any experience with a Kawasaki engine. Could someone tell me something about it; like reliability and ease of repair. The lawn mower uses a Peerless transmission.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-02, 07:22 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: J A Boggan

Best suggestion I could offer you is to advise your neighbor to purchase the service manual for that machine from the dealer. It's a wise investment, in my opinion.

Old 05-25-02, 12:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree. A service manual is the most important tool when maintaining/repairing a small engine. Kawasaki is generally a very reliable engine, and most of the time it will outlast the equipment it is mounted to.

As with all engines, service it regularly, keep the air filter clean, keep it maintained. Parts are expensive, but rarely needed. The starter alone for that engine probably runs at or over the $300.00 mark. They aren't too hard to repair when something does go wrong, but they are a little more complicated than the average Briggs engine.

Peerless transaxles are standard on many brands of mowers, from near bottom to top of the line.

Old 05-25-02, 04:38 AM
J A Boggan
Visiting Guest
Thanks Cheese, you comments were just what I was looking for.

Old 05-25-02, 08:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Anytime!