Electric Starter Question

Old 05-25-02, 03:51 AM
asocci
Visiting Guest
new battery/not starting

I have a 12.5 hp briggs ic motor on a craftsman tractor. It has been cutting the grass great until last week I parked it and can't start it. I replaced the battery and still can't. It has an on off switch so i keep it on off when not running, here's the senario Turn on tractor depress the clutch and try to start it all I hear is a click. Is it a solenoid or something else. Please advise.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-02, 04:34 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Asocci

Good possiblity there is a poor electrical connection somewhere in the electrical system. I would suggest you clean and tighten all electrical connections. Look for evidence of corrosion at the terminal connections and within the main wires at the battery connection points.

The fact that your hearing "clicking" at the starter means power is getting to the starter solenoid. Which means the safety switches are all closed & contacting, allowing power to pass thru them. There could simply be too much electrical resistance within the battery connection wires & terminals.

Another possibility could be an internal short within any electrical part or componet. Tracting down this type of problem requires an ohm meter, time, patients and possibilty a wiring diagram.

Old 05-25-02, 09:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Another thing to check that is a very common problem on these engines is the starter bendix. Take the 2 1/4" screws out of the black cover that goes over the top of the starter. Look at the gear. Is the gear jammed into the teeth of the flywheel? If so, pry it down and change the gear and bendix.