Engine Starting Problem

Old 05-28-02, 12:33 PM
SteveBBB
Visiting Guest
Weedeater won't start

I have a Weedeater GTI 16 (5 yrs old). It ran fine before, but when I moved I drained the oil/gas out. I refilled it with the proper oil/gas mixture (40:1) and it has run only once out of the dozen or so times I've tried to start it.

After I pull it about 10 times, I get a strong gas smell so I quit thinking it's flooded.

There are two screw adjustments. At flat slotted screw looks like a needle valve and a phillips head that looks like a throttle stop.

Does anyone know what I can try to get it to start everytime I need it?

Thanks,
SteveBBB

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-02, 09:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the spark plug firing? If you have spark, then you likely have a fuel problem. Let us know if you have spark first, we'll go from there.

Old 06-01-02, 12:17 PM
JDI
Visiting Guest
Your right , one is a throttle stop screw and you may have one or two other , usually two. One for idle and one for high speed.
You may wish to replace the small filter in the gas tank as this often plugs up. After that yor best bet would be to do a compression check as you mentioned you had it for 5 years or more and if all seems ok , then get a carb kit and go from there , that is only if you have good spark and your still having problems.

Good luck.

Old 06-03-02, 05:42 AM
SteveBBB
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down Gave up

I put in a new spark plug and rebuilt the carb. It still pulled till it flooded. I decided 5 years was long enough and that the Weedeater brand was not for me.

I went to Home Depot and bought a new HomeLite (J. Deere) which runs great.

Thanks for the help.