2 Cycle Engine Problem

Old 05-30-02, 05:31 AM
Roscoe_Burdick
Visiting Guest
Lawn Boy problems

I have a 8 year old lawn boy two cycle mower. I changed the plug and cleaned the air filter at the beginning of the mowing season. It ran fine for the first few cuttings. Then one day I was cruising along and the mower just throttled down, and killed. I tried to restart, and it eventually did, but at full throttle it would run like it was set at low throttle eventually it would rev up to full throttle. I started cutting again, and got half of a row cut and the same thing happened. It is just getting worse and worse now. I can't even use the self propelled now under a cutting load without it throttling down. I have heard the exhaust ports on Two cycles need to be cleaned on occasion. Could this be the problem? Or is it a carb. issue?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-02, 11:02 AM
tinman1
Visiting Guest
Take the muffler off from underneath the mower deck and clean the exhaust ports. Dollars to donuts they are plugged up. If this works, that'll be 25 bucks please.

Old 05-30-02, 10:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
tinman is probably right. Check that first, and let us know what happens from there.

Old 05-31-02, 04:07 AM
Roscoe_Burdick
Visiting Guest
Ok...I took the blade off, and there is a mounting plate underneath it. In order to get at the three nuts holding down the muffler I need to get this mounting plate off. I have a manual that says "strike the the plate counter clockwise to break it loose from the crankshaft." It doesn't seem to want to break free....am I missing something?

Old 05-31-02, 12:02 PM
Roscoe_Burdick
Visiting Guest
I found someone who had a puller and got the plate off. The center exhaust port was plugged up. It seems to run fine now.

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-31-02, 11:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad to hear you got it going! Good call tinman!