Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

2 Cycle Engine Problem

Visiting Guest

05-30-02, 05:31 AM   #1  
Roscoe_Burdick
Lawn Boy problems

I have a 8 year old lawn boy two cycle mower. I changed the plug and cleaned the air filter at the beginning of the mowing season. It ran fine for the first few cuttings. Then one day I was cruising along and the mower just throttled down, and killed. I tried to restart, and it eventually did, but at full throttle it would run like it was set at low throttle eventually it would rev up to full throttle. I started cutting again, and got half of a row cut and the same thing happened. It is just getting worse and worse now. I can't even use the self propelled now under a cutting load without it throttling down. I have heard the exhaust ports on Two cycles need to be cleaned on occasion. Could this be the problem? Or is it a carb. issue?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-30-02, 11:02 AM   #2  
tinman1
Take the muffler off from underneath the mower deck and clean the exhaust ports. Dollars to donuts they are plugged up. If this works, that'll be 25 bucks please.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-30-02, 10:07 PM   #3  
tinman is probably right. Check that first, and let us know what happens from there.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

05-31-02, 04:07 AM   #4  
Roscoe_Burdick
Ok...I took the blade off, and there is a mounting plate underneath it. In order to get at the three nuts holding down the muffler I need to get this mounting plate off. I have a manual that says "strike the the plate counter clockwise to break it loose from the crankshaft." It doesn't seem to want to break free....am I missing something?

Visiting Guest

05-31-02, 12:02 PM   #5  
Roscoe_Burdick
I found someone who had a puller and got the plate off. The center exhaust port was plugged up. It seems to run fine now.

Thanks for the help.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-31-02, 11:39 PM   #6  
Glad to hear you got it going! Good call tinman!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread