Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Flooding

Visiting Guest

06-01-02, 05:02 AM   #1  
Rick Parker
gas and Oil blowing out of carb.

i forgot to include my specs with my question.
Murray Ultra
15.5 hp Overhead Valve
42" cut
Briggs and Stratton
Model 28n707
Type 0115 01
code 9602204A

When trying to crank the carburator blows oil and gas out of the carb in vast amounts, also fills cylinder with fuel rapidly.
Please help.

Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus

CAL

06-01-02, 07:01 AM   #2  
Engine Flooding

Originally posted by Rick Parker
I forgot to include my specs with my question.

Hello Rick,
Your statement above indicates you already once before posted a question on this topic. I have not located that question in the list of topics here. If I could find it I would have merged it and this one together.

In reply to your question below, sounds like the carbs float isn't shuting off the flow of fuel. When this happens, the combustion chamber fills with fuel and some of the fuel passes by the piston rings and gets into the crankcase, etc.

To resolve this problem, the carb must be removed, cleaned out, the new parts in the carb kit installed and the float tested to determine if it has a hole in it. Once the cause of the problem is located and corrected, the carb can be reinstalled and the problem your describing will be solved.

I also edited the topic to clearify the problem.

Murray Ultra
15.5 hp Overhead Valve
42" cut
Briggs and Stratton
Model 28n707
Type 0115 01
code 9602204A

When trying to crank the carburator blows oil and gas out of the carb in vast amounts, also fills cylinder with fuel rapidly.
Please help.

Regards and Good Luck.
Web Site Admin, Moderator Hiring Agent, Host and Forums Manager. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician. Fast, Fair, Friendly and Highly Proficient...

Don't Take Freedom For Granted. Thank A Veteran. Need an Employee? Hire a Veteran

Not only is a mind a terrible thing to waste, it's like a parachute.

It doesn't function until it's OPEN.........

Elvis. "The Sun Never Sets On A Legend."

Gun safety is using BOTH hands!

Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Visiting Guest

06-01-02, 07:22 AM   #3  
Rick Parker
Thank you so much for your reply. I was told that it may be a stuck valve or worse a broken valve. I will get a rebuild kit and when I am finished I will tell you the results.

Thanks again.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-02-02, 12:26 AM   #4  
I agree with Tom, it is definitely a carburetor problem, no broken valves to worry about.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

06-02-02, 03:40 AM   #5  
Rick Parker
gas and oil blowing out of carb

Thanks Guy's for your help.

It was just that! I took my carb off, went to my local small engine repair place to purchase a new carb rebuild kit. The owneer told me that I did not need a rebuild kit. He showed me what to take apart and clean. After a very rigourous cleaning, I placed the carb back on and the first bump of the key it fired right up. I don't remember my mower running this good when I first bought it.
Happy mowing and keep up the good work!

Visiting Guest

06-02-02, 06:23 AM   #6  
Fisher
To be safe, you should change your oil, now that
the fuel problem is cured.
Fish

Visiting Guest

06-02-02, 04:02 PM   #7  
Rick Parker
Originally posted by Fisher
To be safe, you should change your oil, now that
the fuel problem is cured.
Fish
I have changed the oil but thank you for the reminder,yes it would have been devistating had I not removed all of the fuel that had gotten into the oil.
I only wish I had done the carburator a few years ago. The tractor has been spitting and sputtering for the last three years.
Now it runs like a sewing machine.

Thanks for all the help.

Search this Thread