Many problems

Old 06-01-02, 10:37 PM
ringoryan8
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Many problems

Hey everyone,
I'm trying to restore an old briggs model 80202. After long tedious cleaning i got it to start but i shut it off immediately. I emptied the gas tank to find rust colored gas.
Now i try to restart it but nothing. There is no spark from the magneto to the spark plug either. there was always a spark traveling through until after i started it. i took the rust off of the magneto and still nothing. Could the fuel lines be clogged? I think I have one of the stupid pulsa jet carberators. (excuse my poor spelling) Another problem is that I don't know where to set the needle valve to.
Thanks for your time

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-02, 11:13 PM
Don't know if I will be much help here, but one thing I do know...the fuel has nothing to do with your spark!
If you had rust in the tank, you must have had water in the gas. Since water and gas will seperate if left standing, the water going to the bottom, I would assume you now have water in you carb. You will need to remove the float bowl from the carb and remover all gas/water from the carb and bowl. Next pull the fuel line off of the carb and insure you have a good flow from the tank. If not, clean line/tank or both.
If you had the engine running and had good spark before, make sure the kill switch is not stuck. This would bevent you from getting spark.
In my experiances of working on these engines, you can not overlook the little things
The method I used for the needle valves was: turn it all the way in and than back it out 1 1/4 turns. This should get you to a starting point from which you than can fine tune it.

Old 06-02-02, 12:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree with checking the kill switch. Disconnect the coil ground wire and check for spark. If you have a pulsa-jet carb, you have no float bowl to clean out, but the carb probably needs a good cleaning. Screw in the air fuel adjustment needle until it lightly bottoms out, then back it out 1 1/2 to 2 turns. There is no needle valve on a pulsa-jet carb. I'm assuming you're talking about the air-fuel mixture screw?

Old 06-02-02, 07:01 PM
ringoryan8
Visiting Guest
I have narrowed the problem down to the magneto not sending a spark to the plug. Do you have any suggestions on what to do?

Old 06-02-02, 09:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If this engine has a breaker-point ignition system, you may have problems with the points and condenser. I would replace the armature with a newer style that has electronic ignition, and just ignore the points. This will save much aggravation over the years. If it is an electronic armature that you have, make sure the air-gap between the armature and the flywheel is set correctly..... .010". If it is set right, and the kill wire is disconnected, and you still have no spark, replace the armature.

Old 06-03-02, 03:22 PM
ringoryan8
Visiting Guest
I have a magneto. Could it have gone bad?

Old 06-03-02, 07:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Both of the systems I described have "magnetos". Does yours have points? The armature on a briggs is what some people call a magneto. If this is an older engine, which the model #'s indicate it is, then you have breaker points. I don't show this engine in my books. The breaker points are under the flywheel. According to the model #s, your engine is an 8 cubic inch, horizontal pulsa-jet, plain bearing, rewind start.

Old 06-03-02, 08:09 PM
ringoryan8
Visiting Guest
Well, how can i tell wether or not i have points? How can i tell what kind of system it is? Thank you very much for your help and time.

Old 06-03-02, 08:11 PM
ringoryan8
Visiting Guest
On more thing, how much do you think it will cost to replace it?

Old 06-04-02, 11:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
To tell if you have points or not, follow the small black wire that is connected to the armature. If there are 2 wires, and one goes under the flywheel, then you have points. If it just has one that goes to the outside of the engine with a connector at the end, you don't have points. I'll try to dig a couple of older briggs books out of the shop to see if I can find your engine, and give you better details. Point sets are cheap, but I would switch to the electronic system to save time and ensure reliability. The newer armature for this would probably run around the $30.00 range.

Old 06-05-02, 07:25 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You can go to www.briggsandstratton.com and e-mail them with your engine's information.

They should be able to help and to provide a breakdown/parts manual for it. That usually helps a lot when identifying parts.

I have found their support to be excellent.

Old 06-05-02, 09:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
OK, I have information in an older book that shows this engine has points, unless it has been converted already. However, I can't determine whether it has the points under the flywheel, or in an external box mounted on the side (magna-matic). Most likely, on an engine this small, they are under the flywheel. The type and code #s would be needed to determine where they are, but a visual inspection would tell you much quicker and easier. If the points are external, there will be a metal cover behind the carburetor/gas tank area that is removed for access to the points. I doubt that you have this system though.

Old 06-06-02, 03:28 PM
ringoryan8
Visiting Guest
this is the exact info-
Model Type trim code
80202 0018 01 78101903

Thakn you very much for your time.

Old 06-08-02, 09:11 PM
ringoryan8
Visiting Guest
i got the problem fixed by cleaning the bottom side of the magneto with a wire brush and now it runs great. Thanks for all of your help.

Old 06-09-02, 12:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad it's running. I wonder if there was a bad connection that got "fixed" when you removed and reinstalled the magneto. I've never heard of a dirty/rusty magneto causing a problem. Good job!