pulling a pulley

Old 06-04-02, 10:19 PM
VRaptor
Visiting Guest
pulling a pulley

I am changing the drive belts on an MTD lawn machine with a transmatic transmission. To change the front drive belt I need to take the bolt out of the bottom of the motor shaft and drop the pulley down to get the belt out of the belt guides. Does anyone know a good way to immobilize the motor shaft so I can loosen the bolt? Are there any tools that would make this job easier? Any help will be greatly appreceated!!

VRaptor

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-02, 11:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hi VRaptor!

I guess the belt could be changed that way, but the intended procedure is: Remove the two 3/8" bolts on either side of the frame that hold the belt keeper plate on the mower. Replace belt. Reinstall belt keeper plate.

It's quick and easy.

Old 06-04-02, 11:24 PM
VRaptor
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the quick reply Cheese!! I was just following the steps in the owners manual and it says to drop the pulley but if The belt guides can be unbolted and droped out of the way I'd much rather do that. Sounds much easier. I'll check my mower and see if this is an option on it. I sure hope so Thanks again

VRaptor

Old 06-05-02, 08:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
They tell you to remove the pulley??! That's strange, and more difficult if you don't have an impact gun to get it off without holding the flywheel. We are talking about an MTD with the forward, neutral, reverse gear selector, and the 7 speed selector, right? I have never needed to remove the engine pulley on an MTD to change a belt. I hope I'm steering you the right way!

Old 06-05-02, 11:16 PM
VRaptor
Visiting Guest
Yep Forward,neutral,reverse, 7 speed shift on the go. It is a 1999 model yardmachine. I won't have time to fool with it til Friday due to my work schedule, but I'll let you know how it goes.I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping you are correct

VRaptor

Old 06-10-02, 10:31 PM
VRaptor
Visiting Guest
well,I was able to take a look at the belt guides and they are not removable on this model. Just my luck!! But I was able to bend them out of the way enough to get the belt on and then bend them back in place.Not exactly SOP but it worked and was a lot easier than trying to remove the pulleys

VRaptor

Old 06-10-02, 10:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm glad you got it fixed. I guess I haven't run across one of these yet. Usually the whole plate with the belt keepers on it can be removed via removal of 4 small bolts. Good job.