Engine Starting Problem

Old 06-03-02, 04:50 PM
HoboDewey
Visiting Guest
6.75 hp Eager-1 Craftsman Mulching Lawnmowers

I have two slightly used Craftsman self propelled 22 inch power gear drive mulching lawn mowers, model # 917.377582. Neither will start. They both have spark, both getting fuel. They will both slightly backfire threw the carb when attempting to start and will also puff smoke slightly from the muffler. They both are "one pull start solid state ignition." I read that they have auto-compression release making them easier to pull start. Does anyone have any experience with these mowers? I am thinking that it is either a timing problem or the compression release is stuck. Any suggestions before I start to tear them apart?? Thanks

Old 06-03-02, 07:31 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hello HoboDewey, just a shot in the dark here but I would look for an intake valve stuck open or a sheared flywheel/timing key. The compression release is nothing more than an overlap in the valves as they open and close. Odd you would have two engines both with the same problems....Mike

Old 06-03-02, 07:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
When you push the primer bulb, look into the throat of the carb. Do you see fuel pumping into the carb? If not, that's the problem. The carbs on these are problematic. Especially if they sit unused for some time, or get moisture in them. If you are sure the carbs are right, you may want to check the flywheel key. If the engine ever came to a sudden halt, like when hitting a tree root, the flywheel key could have sheared. this causes the ignition to be out of time.

Let us know what you find.

Old 06-04-02, 07:13 PM
HoboDewey
Visiting Guest
Problem found

The problem was that the keys in the flywheel on both mowers were broken. One was quite evident because the casting that holds the blade to the motor was cracked and was making a clunking noise when trying to start it. Apperently, someone hit something with it. The other one, much newer, didn't even have a chip out of the blade, but the key was broken on this one also.
Hope you all have a great day.

Old 06-04-02, 11:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Good job!

Mike...you beat me to the punch, lol!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: