Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

carburetor leak

Visiting Guest

06-05-02, 01:04 PM   #1  
gowitheflow
carburetor leak

I have a sears mower with a Tecumseh 4hp engine. Eng. mod# 143.434082. It was leaking gas from - it looked to me like- around the gas line at carb. fitting. Removed carb.; line was torn at fitting; replaced line. Engine wouln't start. Still leaking in fitting area. Took off carb;rmoved line. Tried to tighten plastic fitting at carb.It's not a screw-in fitting.It presses onto a metal insert which is pressed into carb. Bought new plastic fitting but comes with metal insert attached. Wrestled with old metal insert;got it out. Pressed in new metal insert with plastic elbow attached. Re-assembled; started engine; still leaking. Leak is between carb. and eng.; can't see back there even with mirror. I can see it dripping from gas line at area of plastic carb. fitting. Carb. is wet a little above where fitting is but can see no hole in body.
Where would the leak be if float was sticking? Thanks for ideas!

Gerald

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-05-02, 08:34 PM   #2  
If the float is sticking, it could leak from a number of places. One of the first would be the bowl vent. (on the side of the carb near the top). The needle valve seat on these is rubber and pushed up into the fuel inlet. They are prone to leak, and should be removed and replaced. Check your float to be sure it isn't full of fuel or sticking also.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread