Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ignition Spark Problem

Visiting Guest

06-08-02, 10:03 PM   #1  
Phred
no spark 16 horse Briggs

Hello all, I am at a loss

I am working on a Murray model 402707, Type 1240-01, Code 9401175, 16 HP Twin 2, unsure of manufacture date. perhaps 5 years? at any rate, it was brought to me with no spark. The magneto was replaced with a new one, no spark. I removed the flywheel and found all the internal magnets loose from the flywheel, put on a new flywheel, no spark. bought another new magneto, no spark. There is no spark with or without the small wire connected. is there anything else I can check? I do have continuity between the blade connector on the magneto and ground, should I?

Thanks!

Take Care, and GOD Bless

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-09-02, 12:28 AM   #2  
Is it possible that you have the magneto on upside down? It should be marked "this side up" on the top side. Also, make sure that the air-gap between the magneto and the flywheel is set correctly. It should be .010".....set it with a brass feeler gague.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

06-09-02, 06:45 AM   #3  
Hello and Welcome Phred to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

It's always possible the ignition coil is either grounded and or internally defective. The part can be removed and taken to a local dealer or most small engine repair shop for testing. Some shops do not have these testers for some reason, while others do.

Another possibility could be an open electrical safety device switch or contact device. Basically, your looking for an electrical disconnection somewhere within the entire electrical system.

Based upon what you described about this engine, loose parts under the flywheel, etc. it has to be assumed someone other than you fixed it or attempted to fix it before. The reason has to be determined, if possible, from that orginal person.

Without knowing what the orginal problem was and why the other person attempted a do it yourself fix-it, the exact cause and the problem part & it's location becomes more difficult.

Therefore, without that prior problem knowledge, you'll most likely have to start at square one and begin a continuity test on all parts to determine where the electrical problem within the electrical wiring, connections and or exactly which part is causing the problem.

Doing all the above suggestions for problem locations requires a step by step time consuming method of testing and noting the results. This type of step by step testing & checking is or can be difficult but accomplished successfully by the Do-It-Yourself person. If all else fails to disclose the problem, hire a professional.

Most likely I have not covered all of the potential problems. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help. Check back several times for additional replies.

Read the other topic postings and replies offered on this topic of engines that fail to start and the ARCHIVES, within this forum, for additional help & information on this topic.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any and all additional information, etc. By doing so, the additional information you add will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards and Good Luck, Small Engine Forum Host & Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Efficient Services....
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

During installations of some parts which may not fit exactly perfect, it may be necessary to apply "BRUTE" force in order to compel compliance......... {....just humor folks... }

Personal Quote:
"If it ain't already broke, don't fix it, tinker with it or $#@&*&%$#@! with it until you do break it!"

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 06-09-02 at 07:04 AM.

Visiting Guest

06-09-02, 07:06 AM   #4  
Phred
Good Morning!

Hey Cheese and Tom,

Two positive messages! I did get this partially disassembled, and I did turn the magneto over, and I did get spark! Thanks,
I almost had a bald spot from scratching over this one.

Thanks again, Take Care,
and GOD Bless

Phred

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-09-02, 09:49 PM   #5  
Good job! I'm glad we were able to help!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread