flywheel prob.

Old 06-09-02, 07:33 AM
gowitheflow
Visiting Guest
flywheel prob.

I have a White push mower mod.# 119-809r190/01393 ser# 21-042-6423 with a Briggs & Stratton eng. I need to remove the flywheel. Instead of a nut on top of the flywheel there is a devise with ball bearings in it. What has to be done to remove this device in order to pull the flywheel?

Thanks Gerald

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-02, 07:52 AM
Fisher
Visiting Guest
It is screwed on in the same manner as a nut,
so a pipe wrench could be used. Why do you
want to remove the flywheel?
Fish

Old 06-09-02, 07:59 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello and Welcome Gerald to our Small Engine forum.

The part your describing is the rope starter clutch. It can be removed by unscrewing it counterclockwise.

To do this without causing flywheel damage, the flywheel has to be held firmly in place with a strap wrench. Strp wrenches are available at local automotive parts stores.

Removing the actual flywheel also takes a special tool called a flywheel puller to avoid breaking the flywheel. They do break easily! Use caution. Also note that there are special pullers for small engine and not all fylwheels are removed in the same manner.

Best bet is to obtain a service manual for that specific engine or a generic small engine repair manual. Doing so will save time, money and aggravations and uncontrollable verbal foul wordings flowing freely from ones mouth....

Most likely I have not covered all of the potential methods. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help. Check back several times for additional replies.

Read the other topic postings and replies offered on this topic of engines that fail to start and the ARCHIVES, within this forum, for additional help & information on this topic.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any and all additional information, etc. By doing so, the additional information you add will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards and Good Luck, Small Engine Forum Host & Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Efficient Services....
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

During installations of some parts which may not fit exactly perfect, it may be necessary to apply "BRUTE" force in order to compel compliance......... {....just humor folks... }

Personal Quote:
"If it ain't already broke, don't fix it, tinker with it or $#@&*&%$#@! with it until you do break it!"

Old 06-09-02, 09:53 AM
gowitheflow
Visiting Guest
flywheel prob.

Thanks Fisher and Tom for your fast reply and info. In answer to your question, Fisher, as to why I am removing the f/w; I broke off a couple of fins trying to remove it. A general repair manual led me to believe that the points and condensor were under the flywheel.I later learned that this mowr has electronic ignition mounted to the front of the f/w. The original prob.was no start. I had no spark from the plug wire. Now I have compounded the prob.

Tom,I will try to remove the starter clutch but in the mean time could you tell me where I can find a service manual for this mower. Also, I'll read the other posts on this forum about no start prob's.
I do appliance repair. Now I know what the poor sap feels like when he calls me to repair his washer in which he just installed a $100 timer, that Sears sold to him ,which was individually wired and he didn't think to write down the wire locations on the timer and the timer wasn't the prob. in the first place. Oh well,I guess we've all been there and got that belt buckle at one time or another

As for the uncontrollable verbal foul wordings coming from my mouth; I'm afraid it's too late for that warning. I'm sorry to say that I've defiled the poor old church-going lady next door with a stream of profanity that would have made a drunken sailor proud.

Thanks again.
Gerald

Old 06-09-02, 03:29 PM
J A Boggan
Visiting Guest
Usually, I can just bump the starter clutch with a wooden block in the CCW direction (viewed from the top). As for the pulling of the flywheel, there are usually two 1/4 - 20 boltholes on either side of the shaft. You probably should tap these out. Then take a flat steel bar approximately 3/8 to 1/2" thick and about 3" long and drill two 5/16" holes (the centers of the holes being the same as the two 1/4" holes. Then place the bar on top of the shaft with a 1/2" bolt between the two 1/4" holes, then screw two 1/4" bolts in place and tighten the assembly up (pretty tight). Then place a large screwdriver between the flywheel and the upper housing and tap the screwdriver. The flywheel will "jump" off. You wont have to pull it any distance at all because the flywheel is on a taper fitting. Usually, you will not even need to use the screwdiver. Hope this may be of some help.