synchro-balancer

Old 06-10-02, 04:16 PM
J A Boggan
Visiting Guest
Question synchro-balancer

I've just run into something new (for me anyway). I just tore down a Briggs & Stratton, 8 hp (model no. - 1901707 Type - 2517-01) to put rings in it. It had some sort of heavy counter balance connected to the crankshaft. The repair manual calls it an 'oscillating counterbalance'. Just what is it's function? Maybe for smoothing out the load?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-02, 10:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What this does is smooth out the operation of the engine. When the piston and rod moves back and forth when running, it causes the engine to shake from the weight jerking back and forth. The balancer moves opposite of the piston. It's weight helps to counter the weight of the piston and rod....and crank journal. Therefore you have less vibration.

Old 06-11-02, 04:08 AM
J A Boggan
Visiting Guest
Thanks cheese for the rapid response. Can you reply also to the fact that the engine is a relative small hp. I have rebuilt much larger engines that didn't have this arrangement. Is Briggs the only manuf that uses this?

Old 06-11-02, 10:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Some old engines did not have this system, and most engines under 8 hp don't have it either. B&S started using balancers on SOME 8 hp engines, and pretty much all 1 cylinder engines larger than 8hp many years ago. Most other engine manufacturers use a balancer system also. There are different balancing systems though. Techumseh and Kohler use balancer shafts. It is a shaft geared to the crankshaft that has weights on it.

Were the larger engines you refer to 2 cyl engines?

Old 06-12-02, 04:48 AM
J A Boggan
Visiting Guest
Thanks again for the information. The larger engines that I have rebuilt were all (older engines) with 1 cylinder.