engine revs high

Old 06-12-02, 05:20 PM
pjk
Visiting Guest
Question engine revs high

I'm a bit of a novice here so bear with me. I've read a number of postings and haven't seen anything similar to my problem.
I have a lawnmower with a Techumse engine. Model # TVS100 440 14A Serial # 7047A. It starts OK but revs very high and higher than normal. When I pull back on the throttle it does not slow down until I am almost at the stop zone. (Approx. 3/4 of the way from full throttle). Any suggestions where to start looking? I'm suspecting the governor!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-02, 09:36 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello and Welcome pjk to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

I would suspect the cable slipped in it's holding clamps or is totally out of adjustment. Correcting this condition may resolve the problem.

It's also possible the govenor linkage is sticking but not so likely. Check it for free play movement. Clean it if needed.

Also possible the govenor linkage is incorrectly install on the carb throttle plate if you removed the carb or made any prior or recent repairs to the carb, govenor linkages or throttle cable.

Most likely I have not covered all of the potential problems. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help. Check back several times for additional replies.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or questions, etc. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards and Good Luck, Small Engine Forum Host & Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Efficient Services....
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Old 06-12-02, 10:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hi pjk!

It sounds to me like a governor problem. The reason I say this is because you said it only slows down when the throttle is all the way in the slow position. This is the only position in the throttle that allows no tension on the governor spring, and the throttle return spring on the carb is able to shut the throttle. I suspect your linkage is ok since it IS able to change speeds. The governor lever on the side of the engine may have come loose from the shaft, or may have gotten knocked out of adjustment somehow. Or....and hopefully not....the governor could be damaged on the inside of the engine.

Old 06-13-02, 12:18 PM
pjk
Visiting Guest
Cool

Thanks for the replies, Tom and Cheese. Since I haven't touched the motor at all except for the oil changes I do suspect that I will have to go into the guts of this thing. I hope tha the operation is a success. I'll keep you posted.

Old 06-16-02, 06:27 PM
pjk
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

It seems that my problem has been solved. Upon your advice I checked out everthing and found that the governor linkage arm was loose and out of adjustment. Once I reset it things have been just fine. Thanks for all your input.

Old 06-16-02, 09:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good job! I'm glad we were able to help!

Search this Thread