Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Wiring Question

Visiting Guest

06-22-02, 02:26 PM   #1  
TRU2AU
Will a 10 HP B&S motor work on a 8 HP mower?

Yes I have a Toro 8 HP riding mower and the mower threw a rod a few weeks ago. I got a 10 HP riding mower from a friend of mine. I switched out everything and everything matched up but I am having a wiring problem. Out of the top of the engine is a black wire with a female connector on it. At the other side of the mower there is a blue wire that is grounded. It runs to the spark plug. When I connect the blue wire from the 8 HP mower to the blue wire and then I try to connect the red wire to the black one with the connector. The wire gets real hot. I have checked both wires and they are both grounded. Where do I connect the red wire from the 8 HP mower to? I can't find any other place to connect it. But when I stick it against the starter it starts spinning. It seems to me that the red wire has got to go somewhere but where? Does anyone have any ideas. I have already put in about 20 hours fooling with this. Surely since all the holes matched up and the flywheel was able to be changed out it should be able to work. They are both B & S engines. The model number on the 8 HP motor is 346012 (SN327D) and the model number on the mower is 56145. ( SN5002199) The model number on the 10 HP motor is 256707 (SN0L0403L1) and the model number on the mower is 3210B502 (SN1021779) Please help me if you can? Thanks from Alabama

<< Prev Topic | Next Topic >>

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-23-02, 01:50 AM   #2  
It sounds to me like you've connected a power source to the coil/armature. This likely burned it up. But...maybe not. I need to know where each wire goes to tell you what to connect it to. The black wire from the engine should go to the ignition switch, as it is the kill wire. The wire with power on it from the mower should connect to the charging wire on the engine. You can tell which one is the charging wire by looking for the wire on the engine with a "bulge" in it just before the connector with heat shrink on it. That is the diode.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread