Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

won't start

OH

06-25-02, 06:41 AM   #1  
won't start

I have a craftsman with a 5hp "eager-1" engine. I had some trouble with power before and this forum suggested a card cleaning. That worked great. Thanks for the info.

This week (about 2-3 weeks between cleaning and this new problem) it started, ran the length of the yard and stopped. I don't think it hit anything. It won't start now at all. It will occasionally catch but never really gets going. I find that if I use the primer bulb, it is much harder to pull. If I pull a few times after priming, it begins to get easier but still won't start.

I believe I have spark since it seems to try to start. I think I have fuel because of the difference in effort required to pull after priming. What am I missing?

The Sears model number for the engine is 143.424152.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-25-02, 10:41 PM   #2  
Is your spark plug wet with fuel? Is there fuel dripping out of the air cleaner housing? It sounds like your needle seat is leaking in the carb. This may be due to a bad seat, or a bad float. If you find that the engine is getting too much fuel, replace the needle, seat, and float. It will run you less than $10.00.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

OH

06-26-02, 07:09 AM   #3  
messed it up more

I have not yet had a chance to check for a wet plug but there was no fuel dripping out or even a strong fuel smell.

However, in my attempts to find the problem, I went to pull the flywheel to check the condition of the key. I removed the flywheel nut and then tapped the shaft while pulling up on the flywheel to remove it. Seems that I must not have tapped as well as I thought because it looks like I must have stripped the top of threads on the shaft. I tried to straighten it out by running the nut down but that just stripped the nut as well.

This morning I bought a new nut and I will be going out later to find a die to fix the threads on the shaft. Any idea what size die I will need?

Are there any tips for putting the flywheel back on? Will the nut drive it down over the shaft and the key? It does not seem to sit all the way down when I just push it down by hand.

On a side note, I noticed that there was basically no oil in the engine. Don't know how that happened since I am pretty sure I checked it 2-3 weeks ago. When I get the flywheel straightened out, I will fill the oil and try again.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-27-02, 12:20 AM   #4  
Hold off on any further work until you determine whether or not the connecting rod is broken. If so, it's likely not worth repairing. If it ran out of oil, it probably is ruined. Check for compression, make sure the piston is moving when you turn the engine. If not, the engine is blown. This might save you the hassle of trying to repair the threads on the crank. There is a puller made for removing the flywheel. Many people remove them by the method you used, but techumseh crankshafts are very soft, and the threads get ruined very easily.

God bless!

OH

06-27-02, 02:10 PM   #5  
maybe got lucky

I got it resolved.

I checked the piston and it did move as the shaft turned so I am pretty sure the rod was not broken.

I bought a new nut for the shaft and borrowed a 1/2 x 20 die to fix the threads. Then I put all that back together.

I put in fresh oil and it started right up - like nothing was ever wrong. My guess is that the lack of oil affected the compression (in addition to not lubricating anything).

Just a guess that this ordeal took a few years off it's life but as long as it is working again, I am willing to wait it out.

Thanks for your help.

Visiting Guest

06-27-02, 08:22 PM   #6  
troyrhoades
motor

I got the same motor that is talked about here and it is touchy about oil, when it gets just a hair low, it starts to loose power, so i just add to it........

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-27-02, 11:31 PM   #7  
Glad you got it going. There may be damage from running it out of oil, but if it's running again....that's all you can ask for Just keep an eye on your oil level and maybe it'll keep cutting grass for a while.

God bless!

Search this Thread