Engine Flooding

Old 07-04-02, 10:05 AM
Spanky
Visiting Guest
Gas

Hi I have a B&S 11Hp engine on my lawn tractor. It will not start I found out today that there was gas cominig out of the muffler and the breather hose has to crack in itcould this be causing it to make the gas in the muffler and not start pleas help.

Sal

Old 07-04-02, 12:52 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Spanky

Which hose? Breather hose or fuel hose?

If you detected gas in the muffler and the breather, then it's very likely the carb fuel shutoff it's working. Fuel is filling up the carb and flowing into the cylinder. From there it is flowing into the muffler and worse yet, most likely into the crankcase.

Check the cyclinder for fuel by removing the spark plug. If there is fuel in the cyclinder, you have discovered the problem. The carb is not stopping the fuel from entering.

If the above is determined to be the problem, remove the carb and repair it. Allow the fuel in the cyclinder to pump out by evaporation. Cranking the engine should be avoided to prevent a fire or explosion cause by ignition sparking or electrical sparking.

If there is fuel in the oil {Crankcase} drain it out with the oil, wait for the cyclinder to dryout and then replace the crankcase oil. Then reinstall the spark plug and attempt to restart the engine with the newly rebuilt carb installed.

Most likely I have not covered all of the potential possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times for additional replies.

Read the other postings and replies offered on this topic of engines in the RECENT & ARCHIVES postings, within this forum, for additional help & information on this topic of carbs and rebuilding, etc.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask additional questions, etc. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards and Good Luck, Small Engine Forum Host & Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Efficient Services....
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

During installations of some parts which may not fit exactly perfect, it may be necessary to apply "BRUTE" force in order to compel compliance......... {....just humor folks... }

Personal Quote:
"If it ain't already broke, don't fix it, tinker with it or $#@&*&%$#@! with it until you do break it!"

Old 07-04-02, 01:31 PM
Spanky
Visiting Guest
fuel shut-off

Hi tell me where is the fuel shut-off is on the carb. I don't think my carb has that. also the breather hose is the on that is crack. what should I repair on the carb. It has Bowl and float. No jet please help. thanks

Sal

Old 07-04-02, 10:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Replace the float and needle. That should solve your problem. You also need to change the oil now, like Tom said. Fuel in the oil can ruin your engine quickly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: