Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Stalls & Dies

Visiting Guest

06-28-02, 05:56 PM   #1  
jonsey
My engine dies when i give it gas

When i prime my engine and then start it i keep pressin teh prime to keep it going, but then when i reach over and give it gas from the accelerator it goes for like 5 seconds then dies anyone got any ideas? i have a techempseh 5.0 horse go-kart engine

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

06-28-02, 07:08 PM   #2  
Hello and Welcome jonsey to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

The problem described sounds like the engine is starving for fuel. Which may mean the carb isn't getting fuel in fast enough to keep the bowl full.

If this is the case, remove the fuel hose from the carb and check the fuel flow volume and flow rate. Fuel should flow continuously, steady and at full volume. If it fails to or slows down after a few moments, the fuel system is either restricted or plugged up.

If the flow and volume appear to be fine, the other most likely problem is the carb is gummed up internally, the float is restricted in it's movement or the needle is. Any one of which means the carb must be removed, cleaned out and new carb parts installed form a carb rebuilding kit.

Most likely I have not covered all of the potential possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.
Check back on your topic several times for additional replies.

Read the other postings and replies offered on this topic of engines in the RECENT & ARCHIVES, within this forum, for additional help & information on this topic.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask additional questions, etc. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards and Good Luck, Small Engine Forum Host & Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Efficient Services....
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Visiting Guest

06-28-02, 07:19 PM   #3  
jonsey
ok thanks alot dude ill check it out oh and it keeps going when i keep pressing the prime but it only quits when i hit the accel.

Visiting Guest

06-29-02, 10:37 PM   #4  
Big Nate
before buying a carb rebuild kit or a new carb.... mess around with the jetting ( 1/4 to 1/2 turn out should do) it sounds like it is running verry lean and when you prime the engine it is just like an accellerator pump on a carburated vehicle and squirts raw fuel into the intake. with 4-5 cc's of fuel in the intake the engine will run fine for a few secconds and then run out of vapors hence the stalling.

BTW: you didnt say if the engine would run with the choke on.

~NaTe

Visiting Guest

06-29-02, 10:47 PM   #5  
jonsey
thats because my motor doesnt have choke just prime

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-30-02, 01:29 AM   #6  
More than likely your problem will be found to be a stopped up hole in the bowl screw on the carb. The air/fuel screw should be adjusted 1&1/2 turns out. 1/4 to 1/2 is way too lean.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

06-30-02, 02:11 AM   #7  
jonsey
nope i cleaned out the screw alredy thx for your reply tho

Visiting Guest

06-30-02, 05:54 PM   #8  
Big Nate
I meant 1/4 to 1/2 a turn out from it's current position.

~NaTe

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-30-02, 10:45 PM   #9  
Ohhhh!, lol I misunderstood you Nate. There is a restriction in your carburetor somewhere. These carbs are simple, but pesky. There are 4 holes in that bowl screw, 1 of them is very tiny and hard to see when it is stopped up. Are you sure they all got cleaned? You may need to remove the carb and soak it in a can of chem-dip.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread