loud squeal sound while running

Old 06-30-02, 08:26 AM
troyrhoades
Visiting Guest
Question loud squeal sound while running

I have a 3.5HP briggs about 10 years old that has set a couple years now, when i finally got it running it squeals real loud, i am fixin to take it aprt and check it out, i was wondering if there is any opinions where or what to look for, my first start will be the rope rewind.... thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-02, 01:56 PM
J A Boggan
Visiting Guest
I believe your problem could be the starter clutch. It sits on top of the flywheel. Usually, you can bump them off with a hammer and a small block of wood. However, you will need a special 'starter clutch' wrench in order to torque it back on. When hitting the clutch with the block of wood, be careful so you wont break off any of the small 'ears'.

Old 06-30-02, 03:52 PM
troyrhoades
Visiting Guest
cool that fixed it for the squeal, but now there is a new problem, i had a carb problem and i rebuilt it, but is or was there a spring going from the governor arm to the metal arm that pivots around? How it operates now is the throttle is wide open, i have to put my finger on the idle arm against the idle screw.

Old 06-30-02, 10:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, there is supposed to be a spring and a small wire linkage going from the governor vane to the throttle shaft. Good call on the starter clutch J A Boggan!