toggle switch for a lawn rider

Old 06-27-02, 08:33 PM
troyrhoades
Visiting Guest
toggle switch for a lawn rider

i am having electrical probs with one of these lawnriders i have, it is a oh '82 wheelhorse 16 twin, it wont start trhough the key ignition it wont click pop or smoke anything nothing, so i put a new solenoid and igntion switch on it, still nothing, i wonder if there is a broken wire somewhere? i have checked the safety switches they seem to be ok except one which i trhough in the trash,my question is? can i take a toggle switch to start this thing? do they make a 3-way switch that has a momentary on, or can i use 2 switches, one for on and off and one to start it? i like the toggle switch idea........

Old 06-27-02, 09:09 PM
troyrhoades
Visiting Guest
4-sale

removed advertising Cheese........forum moderator

Last edited by cheese; 06-27-02 at 11:26 PM.
Old 06-27-02, 11:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Is your fuse OK? There should be power to the little wire that plugs onto the solenoid when you turn the key to start. If not, trace the wire back to the ignition switch. Check for power there, if not, trace it back to the battery. In this section you will find the fuse.

Old 06-30-02, 08:31 AM
troyrhoades
Visiting Guest
fuse

yeah the fuse is ok,and there is power to the solenoid.....

Old 06-30-02, 10:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok, If you have power on the small wire when cranking, and on the battery cable to the solenoid, and it still won't turn....then if the solenoid won't click it is defective or not grounded. The bolts that hold it on may be rusted and not making connection, or if it has a seperate ground wire, it may not have a good connection to ground. Or...the negative battery cable at the battery may not be connected well to the frame.

Old 07-01-02, 08:14 PM
troyrhoades
Visiting Guest
ok in the next couple days i will mess around with the grounds again, the one to the frame is a possibility......thanks i hope im not wasteing your time here

Old 07-04-02, 12:03 PM
troyrhoades
Visiting Guest
well like i said the 30 amp fuse is ok, but here is my question, on the solenoid it is a 3 pole, the top one is the ground, then there is 2 a like side by side, one is getting 12.5 volts directly without my doing anything and the other has nothing even when i turn the key to crank it over still nothing to that pole? umm what do you think, also is it possible the wires on the 2 poles are needing to be reveresed? or does that not matter? the solenoid is brand new just put on, i have the old solenoid which does the same as this one............

Old 07-04-02, 10:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it is a 3 terminal solenoid, then none of them are ground. There are 2 large posts with nuts on them. One should have the starter cable attatched, the other should have the battery pos + cable attatched. The third will be a small terminal with a small wire on it. This wire needs to have 12v on it when the key is turned to start, and only then. The solenoid grounds through it's mounting bolts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: