Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Blade belt

Visiting Guest

07-01-02, 05:09 PM   #1  
J A Boggan
Blade belt

I have a 1988 lawnboy riding mower, model-25144 , type Re8e, with a 30" cut. I recently put a new blade belt on it. It seems that I can hear the blade speed up and slow down a little, whenever I cut the grass. So(with the engine off), I can reach underneath to the PTO pulley, and can feel about 1/2" to 3/4" slack in the engaged belt (next to the pully). Shouldn't it be tighter than this? The next question is, how in the world do you tighten it. I have adjusted the deck as far foward as it will go. I feel that it's the right belt because its the same length as the old one.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-01-02, 08:42 PM   #2  
I am not familiar with your mower, however, it does sound like the belt is too loose. Was the old belt slipping too? Is the new belt as wide as the old one? The linkage to the tensioner pulley on most riding mowers will have an adjustment on it somewhere. Follow it from the engagement lever to the tensioner arm and see if you find a place to adjust it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

07-03-02, 05:00 AM   #3  
J A Boggan
Thanks cheese, you were right on top of it , as usual. I stood the Lawnboy up on the backend and found a cable going from the engagement lever to a tensioner pully (and also the blade brake). I adjusted the cable and the engagement lever has a lot more pressure on it now. Haven't had a chance to try it out. By the way, I am attending a 5 day school (put on by Briggs & Stratton) in Norcross Georgia, starting Aug. 5. I was just wondering, if you were familiar with this school?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-03-02, 07:11 PM   #4  
Good job! Glad you got it.

No, I'm not familiar with the school. What type of training/teaching are they doing? Is it a basic type class, or more for techs?

God bless!

Visiting Guest

07-04-02, 03:14 AM   #5  
J A Boggan
Cheese,
I understand that its a very thorough (basic) course in repair. If your intrested, go to their web site at https://www900.bellsouth-hosting.net...n-schedule.htm .

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-04-02, 10:51 PM   #6  
Thanks....just curious mainly, but I think I'll look at the site.

God bless!

Search this Thread