Blade belt

Old 07-01-02, 05:09 PM
J A Boggan
Visiting Guest
Question Blade belt

I have a 1988 lawnboy riding mower, model-25144 , type Re8e, with a 30" cut. I recently put a new blade belt on it. It seems that I can hear the blade speed up and slow down a little, whenever I cut the grass. So(with the engine off), I can reach underneath to the PTO pulley, and can feel about 1/2" to 3/4" slack in the engaged belt (next to the pully). Shouldn't it be tighter than this? The next question is, how in the world do you tighten it. I have adjusted the deck as far foward as it will go. I feel that it's the right belt because its the same length as the old one.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-02, 08:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I am not familiar with your mower, however, it does sound like the belt is too loose. Was the old belt slipping too? Is the new belt as wide as the old one? The linkage to the tensioner pulley on most riding mowers will have an adjustment on it somewhere. Follow it from the engagement lever to the tensioner arm and see if you find a place to adjust it.

Old 07-03-02, 05:00 AM
J A Boggan
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks cheese, you were right on top of it , as usual. I stood the Lawnboy up on the backend and found a cable going from the engagement lever to a tensioner pully (and also the blade brake). I adjusted the cable and the engagement lever has a lot more pressure on it now. Haven't had a chance to try it out. By the way, I am attending a 5 day school (put on by Briggs & Stratton) in Norcross Georgia, starting Aug. 5. I was just wondering, if you were familiar with this school?

Old 07-03-02, 07:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good job! Glad you got it.

No, I'm not familiar with the school. What type of training/teaching are they doing? Is it a basic type class, or more for techs?

Old 07-04-02, 03:14 AM
J A Boggan
Visiting Guest
Cheese,
I understand that its a very thorough (basic) course in repair. If your intrested, go to their web site at https://www900.bellsouth-hosting.net...n-schedule.htm .

Old 07-04-02, 10:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks....just curious mainly, but I think I'll look at the site.