2 Cycle Engine Problem

Old 07-04-02, 05:35 PM
guzda51
Visiting Guest
ryobi 2 cycle won't start when hot?

Hi,
My ryobi model 700r string trimmer won't start when it runs for awhile and gets hot? A new one is $75.00. Is it repairable and is it worth a trip to the service person?
Thanks,
guzda

Old 07-04-02, 09:03 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello guzda51. Welcome to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

Engines that run hot are usually caused by a cooling air flow restriction, an overly lean carb fuel mixture or an incorrect fuel & oil mixture.

If the fuel to oil ratio mix is correct, one of the two other conditions may be the cause.

Check the engines cooling fins for air flow restrictions and the screen that covers the starter for air intake restrcitions.

If there aren't any air flow restrictions, most likely the carb is either adjusted too lean or it is internally gummed up with stale fuel or stale fuel dposits.

If the carb is the problem, the only successful method to correct the problem is to remove the carb, clean it out and install the new carb rebuilding parts.

Most likely I have not covered all of the potential possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times for additional replies.

Read the other postings and replies offered on this topic of engines in the RECENT & ARCHIVES postings, within this forum, for additional help & information on this topic.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask additional questions, etc. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards and Good Luck, Small Engine Forum Host & Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Efficient Services....
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Old 07-04-02, 10:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Along with what Tom mentioned, there is a possibility that your rings are bad. This will cause problems when the engine warms up, and is not worth repairing. A carburetor problem is not too bad. Try unscrewing both mixture screws on the carb 1/4 turn. Does it do any better? Try loosening the gas cap when it tries to die too. If that helps, the gas cap vent is stopped up.

Old 07-05-02, 04:09 AM
guzda51
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Guys,
I thought maybe you'd take the 4th of July off? You're tough!
I think Cheese may be onto something. Come to think about it, I remember pressure when I opened the gas tank cap. I'll clean it and try the mixture. It has been used pretty hard. I may have to spend the 75 bucks.

guzda

Old 07-05-02, 09:49 PM
guzda51
Visiting Guest
Cleaned the vent in the cap. Cleaned the fuel lines and exhaust port, air filter and a new plug. Even hard to start cold. Once it started ran well most of the day. Think it's time for a new one.
Thanks fellows,
regards,
Ol' Guzda

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: