Lawn tractor starter

Old 07-04-02, 06:44 PM
Question Lawn tractor starter

My Sears 14.5 horse briggs lawn tractor will not start.
The starter sounds like it is running bot the starter gear does not rise up to engage the engine gear.
Should I buy a new starter or try something else first?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-02, 09:17 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello emsandsas. Welcome to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

Remove the start motor assembly. Then remove the bendix drive assembly which is attached to the front of the motor. Under there you'll find the solenoid and linkage that moves forward the pinion gear. This location and the parts assembly is were your most likely going to find the problem.

Most likely I have not covered all of the potential possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times for additional replies.

Read the other postings and replies offered on this topic of engines in the RECENT & ARCHIVES postings, within this forum, for additional help & information on this topic.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask additional questions, etc. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards and Good Luck, Small Engine Forum Host & Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Efficient Services....
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Old 07-04-02, 10:23 PM
Fisher
Visiting Guest
When the starter starts spinning, the gear is
suppossed to kick up to engage the flywheel
spinning on a helix. The gear may simply be stuck,
or the gear and/or helix may be damaged, but
both can be replaced without buying a new starter.
Fish

Old 07-04-02, 10:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree, the gear is stuck. Remove the two 1/4" screws that hold the cover on over the starter and look at the gear. If the teeth look good, try to spin it up to the top of the starter. Look at the white plastic piece that the gear is on. If it is dirty, clean it.

Old 07-09-02, 02:11 PM
Question lawn tractor won't start again

Sears 14.5 horse Briggs about five years old, Model # 917.258510

Thanks for the earlier help, I cleaned around the starter gear and it started right up. I was able to mow most of the grass that day.
Today when I intended to finish the lawn, it would do nothing. No starter whirring or anything, just silence.
I checked the battery with my battery charger and it is fine(it is only about a week old).
Then I start reading about solenoids on the forum and got the idea I would try to bypass it and then just choke the engine or pull the spark plug when I wanted to stop it.
I really did not know what I was doing but tried it anyway by first disconnecting the battery and then connecting the red cable from the battery to the post that the red cable that ran to the starter was connected to.
Both red cables were originally connected to a small black box mounted on the inside right of the body that also had two small black wires and one small white wire.
This small black box had two posts so I just disconnected the battery cable from its post and connected it to the other post.
When I went to reconnect the red cable at the battery I got a heck of spark and a warm wrench! So I forgot that great idea and decided to ask for help here.
I suppose I need to check why I am not getting current but I don't know how.
What kind of tester do I need? I have an ohm meter but I don't know if it has any application here.
Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

I suppose I need to

Old 07-09-02, 09:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The small box you desribed is the solenoid. It may be bad, but we need to check a few things first. Check for power at the starter when turning the key to start. Do you have power? If so, the solenoid is good. If not, let us know and we'll trace the loss of power to the culprit.

Here's a thought....since you had trouble with the starter bendix, there is a possibility that the gear on the starter got stuck in the engaged position after the engine cranked up and ruined the starter motor. Check for power at the starter first.

Old 07-10-02, 07:56 AM
I don't think I have power when I turn on the switch but I don't think I do bcause the needle on the dash does not move.
I tested the seat safety switch with my ohm meter and it tested good. Can the solenoid be tested with the ohm meter? If so, on what scale?

Old 07-10-02, 08:01 AM
How do I check to see if there is power to the starter?
Thanks.

Old 07-10-02, 11:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check with a voltmeter or test light. Connect it to the red cable that is bolted to the starter. The other end to bare metal on the engine. Then with the clutch pedal pushed down, turn the key to start. Then the light will come on, or voltage will show on the meter if you have power.

Old 07-11-02, 01:31 PM
I tested the starter with my meter set on the volts sclae at 10.
I put the red wire on the wire at the starter, black on frame and sat down and tried to start. The meter did not move.
I checked the ignition switch and seat switch with my meter and they both showed continuity.
I then put on a new solenoid.
I still get only silence when I turn the key.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Old 07-11-02, 08:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check your fuse to be sure it isn't blown. It sould be in the area under the steering wheel. Also, the voltage reading should be around 12, so set your meter accordingly, so that you dont overload it.

Old 07-12-02, 09:23 AM
I checked the fuse, it looked OK visually and I put the meter on it and the needle moved.
I found something with a four prong plug that I suspect is related the clutch pedal (clutch pedal must be pressed in orded to start). I got continuity on a couple of the prongs.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Old 07-12-02, 07:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
OK...re-reading your post, I see that you removed the positive battery cable from the solenoid. Then you attatched it to the other post on the solenoid and tried to connect the battery, right? When you removed the pos. cable from the solenoid, there is a good chance the small red wire that attatches to the same post came off too. The small wire that has the fuse in it should be connected to the post on the solenoid that the positive battery cable goes to. Not the post that the starter cable connects to. Make sure you got it back right....if it's not right, it will do what you describe.

Old 07-13-02, 07:55 AM
The small red wire is still attached to the cable from the battery.
Also I tried by passing the seat switch but still no luck.

Old 07-14-02, 08:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
OK, check with your meter for power on the small white wire that goes to the solenoid when turning key to start with clutch pedal depressed and blades turned off. If there is no power there, check for power on the white wire that is connected to the ignition switch while turning key to start. If none there, you are losing power somewhere from the positive cable at the solenoid, through the red wire with the fuse in it, to the ignition switch, or...if that wire has power all the way to the switch, you have a bad switch or connection at the switch.

If you dont have power at the white wire on the solenoid, but you do have power at the white wire at the switch, then you have a safety switch problem.

If you do have power at the white wire on the solenoid, and it does not click or engage, then you either have low voltage to the solenoid, solenoid is not grounded to the frame or through the ground wire if it has one, or the connection at the solenoid is not good.

Let us know what you find!

Old 07-15-02, 06:09 PM
I don't know how to check the white wire: what scale on ohm meter ? the wire is connected by a clip/switch and is difficult to touch, do I strip the wire to check it? do I put the red probe on it, where do I put the black probe?
Anyway, since I didn't do the test, I plugged the ignition switch back in and turned the key and I was amazed that it started. I was not even sitting on the mower nor did I have the clutch pedal depressed.
I took the ignition switch into my local repair/parts store, they tested it and said it was good. They said it could be that I have a bad push in interlock switch. My tractor has two of these. They said these switches cannot be tested. Are these really swithes or are they just plug ins?
As of now the tractor starts fine but the clutch and seat safety switches appear to be disabled.
Any advice?
Thanks.

Old 07-15-02, 09:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
This machine isn't named christine is it, LOL! It should be able to start without anyone on the seat, as long as the clutch pedal is depressed, and the blades are off. Try starting it with the blades on. If it still tries to start, you have a problem with the safety switch circuit wiring. If it doesn't try to start, you probably have a bad or sticking clutch safety switch.