Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

solenoid-safefty switch

Visiting Guest

07-07-02, 08:11 AM   #1  
troyrhoades
solenoid-safefty switch

ok if i was to check power to the solenoid, do i put my ground of my meter on the ground termanal of the battery and then the positive to one of the poles of the 3-pole solenoid? if so i only have power to the pole with the red positve wire on it from the positive side of the battery, and nothing to the other 2 poles even when i turn the key switch? The pto safety switch is not connected the wires have been broken off, would this switch be a problem? there are 4 wires to it....

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-08-02, 12:45 AM   #2  
Yes, you have connected your meter correctly. There should be power on the small post on the solenoid when the key is turned to start. If the PTO switch is disconnected, it will not allow power to the solenoid on the trigger wire to start it.

It is much easier for all of us trying to diagnose your problem if you keep all posts on the same topic in one thread. (using the reply button instead of asking a new question) This will also bring your question back to the top of the forum board.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

07-12-02, 04:50 PM   #3  
troyrhoades
ok, so how do i figure out where the 4 wires to the PTO switch go, can i just by-pass the switch temporarily and tie whatever wires needed togther to get this thing started, make sure its going to run...

P.S. the deck is not installed on it!!
just trying to get the tractor to fire up and see if it is worth fixing the rest...

thanks

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-12-02, 07:17 PM   #4  
If you just want to crank it, you can use a small wire to jump from the post on the solenoid with power on it, to the small connector on the solenoid. This will engage the solenoid and send power to the starter. The ignition probably won't work because of the absence of the PTO switch. To temporarily bypass this, disconnect the small black wire that runs from the coil. If the engine starts, touch this wire to bare metal to stop it. This way you can at least find out if the engine is any good without going through too much trouble.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

07-13-02, 01:51 PM   #5  
troyrhoades
ok great the motor is good!! so is there a way i can figure out what wires are what that go to the pto switch? so that i can tie them togther without the switch, and be able to use the key to start and run it.....

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-14-02, 08:35 PM   #6  
Do you have a volt/ohm meter? You can check the wiring with it if you have one. There are so many different ways these switches can be wired that I can't tell you what wires should go where. Generally, find the wire that has power on it only when the key is turned to start. Then find the wire in the PTO connector that runs to the small connector on the solenoid, or to the safety switches. Connect these together. then, find the wire in the connector (probably black) that is grounded when the key is turned to off. Connect this to the black wire that goes to the coil. When making these tests, make sure the brake pedal is locked down, the unit is in neutral, and all other safety switches are in the proper position to start mower.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

07-17-02, 05:49 PM   #7  
troyrhoades
ok thanks ill try that this sunday we are moving this week to a new house, so everything is a mess,

Search this Thread