Engine Starting Problem

Old 07-08-02, 02:43 PM
fishindave
Visiting Guest
starting a B&S 12 hp

Never had any problems with this for years, suddenly no go.

The mower got tipped over, now won't start. I took apart all of the wiring for the battery to starter, reconnected. Also tried to chase down all of the safety trips. Now I get a click when I try to start it. With a light tester, I show 12V into the solenoid, 12 V out of the solenoid. I did notice that the light tester dimmed significantly (starter to motor frame) with time while trying to start it.

Things I am thinking about trying (haven't had a chance yet)
- hot wire the starter
- try a different battery

what else should I be doing?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-02, 10:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Fishindave!

Your engine combustion chamber could be full of gas. This happens when the engine gets on it's side. It could also be full of oil. Either one will cause the engine to "lock" and not be able to turn. Remove the spark plug and see if it is wet with gas or oil. If so, you will need to drain the cylinder and replace the spark plug. Also check the oil, it may have lost a significant amount due to the turn-over. Let us know if this helps.

Old 07-16-02, 01:08 PM
telco tech
Visiting Guest
had this happen to my motorcycle once. gas filled one of the cylinders. I removed the spark plug and cranked it over, gas shot out 20 feet from the spark plug hole. Glad I wasn't looking down into it. Also check the battery water level, most little batteries don't like to be turned over, they can spill out some of their electrolyte causing a cell to be dead or weak.