Engine repair labor Rates

Old 07-09-02, 01:20 PM
mcclefty
Visiting Guest
Engine repair labor Rates

I'm going to retire in a year or so and contemplating opening a small engine repair shop. Where can I get labor rates for this type of business in my area. Such as: time charges for a tune up, replacing belts, overhaul and such.

Thanks Lefty

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-02, 08:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello mcclefty!

I don't know where you will find such a diverse reference that will give this info. A tuneup isn't just a tuneup. A belt change isn't just a belt change. The blade belt on a 1993 craftsman 42" mower may take an average of 10 minutes to change, but the blade belt on a John deere 265 may take twice as long. Then you run into a bad idler pulley and maybe some jackshaft bearings that weren't expected to be bad, so there's more time, and $$. There would have to be a flat rate manual 80 feet thick to cover replacement times of every part on every mower, of every year and model.

After a few years in the trade, you will learn how long it should take to do a job, and be able to give the customer an accurate estimate. Until then, give yourself a wider range of error in your estimates. Instead of telling the customer it will run about $105.00....tell them it should run between $100.00 and $125.00. That is how I started. Now my estimates are usually accurate by $5.00 or less.

Congrats on your soon retirement, and good luck with your shop!

Old 07-09-02, 09:13 PM
mcclefty
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Rates

Thanks a lot for your rapid response. I find this forum extremely helpful.

Mcclefty

Old 07-09-02, 09:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You're welcome! Glad to help any time we can. Check back once in awhile, your post may get more answers from others, who may have other suggestions.