Governor Problem

Old 07-10-02, 01:31 PM
nshleppy
Visiting Guest
Toro governor

Toro lawnmower Gaurdian 19 with 10 cubic inch engine about 25 years old running very well until I got my fingers on it. Occasionally the idle speed would not come down to normal and noticed that the area around the governor lever was caked with dirt. This lever goes onto a pin that goes into the crankcase. I removed the screw from the lever holding the linkage and cleaned thoroughly around the pin. It swings around freely which I thought was odd. I pulled the starter rope slightly and was able to feel the governor trying to engage the gear however I had no success and it still flops around. What do I have to do to "re-engage" this governor. All the linkages are clean and no sticking on the throttle valve.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-02, 08:26 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello nshleppy. Welcome to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

The governor is a centrifugal clutch. Which means it engages via a revolving counterweight. As the engine begins running, the weight allows the clutch to grab the hub and attempts to turn it in one direction.

The counter balance to this is the movement of the throttle plate in the carb and the spring on the linkage rod, which works with the throttle lever. These three forces, throttle position, governor and throttle plate and counterforces are balanced and together control the engines running speed.

If you reassemble all the parts and do so in the correct way, the engine should run fine. Be sure to attach all links, governor, throttle and carb links, exactly as they where prior to removal.

The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times for additional replies.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask additional questions, etc. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards and Good Luck, Small Engine Forum Host & Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Efficient Services....
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Old 07-11-02, 07:52 AM
nshleppy
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your quick response and your excellent explanation. Yes I have assembled the 2 linkage rods (throttle plate and spring) exactly the way the way they were prior to removal. The problem is I am not getting the balance situation since the governor hub is not being grabbed as the engine starts running. Everything was operational before I removed the screw holding the lever to the hub. The hub is free wheeling for about 270 degrees. I can feel something clicking when I rotate the hub by hand when the engine is running. Not sure of what to do next. Everything is operational except for the positioning of the hub. There has to be a simple solution since the only thing that was done was removing the screw holding the lever to the governor hub.

Old 07-11-02, 07:37 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello nshleppy

When you removed the governor lever, the noise you heard was the internal counter weight of the governor dropping downwards inside the crankcase.

When you reattached the lever, without turning the pin or hub first, the counter weight did not turn upwards inside the engine. Therefore, the linkage lever has no counterweight.

I am not sure I can even explain this part correctly...

Invision this. Your attempting to reattach the lever but the internal counter weight is not preloaded. Preloaded meaning it has dropped to the bottom of it's arc. Which means at the bottom of the crankcase inside the engine.

To load the counterweight means to raise it up to the top of the crankcase. All of the internal parts, are not visable to your eye, since the weighted assembly is inside the engines crankcase.

Hint: You'll have to invision the part moving inside the engines crankcase.

To preload the internal counter weight, turn the hub or pin towards the carb to load the counter weight, then attach the linkage lever.

When installed correctly, the governor link will attempt to counter the throttle plate movement. The spring on the gov link is part of the opposing force and also a cushioning device between the two opposing forces.

Old 07-12-02, 08:11 AM
nshleppy
Visiting Guest
Well, with an explanation like that how can I not fix it!! The pin was at the 6 o'clock position and after jiggling and turning the engine I was able to get it in the 3 o'clock position by observing the old paint marks on the lever. By setting the throttle plate tang to just touch the stop position by adjusting the the throttle cable the engine started up easily and purred at the right speed. You learn something everyday. Many thanks for your help and hopefully someone else can benefit by this post. I think this beast is good for another 25 years!!