burning oil

Old 07-11-02, 08:23 PM
tstokka
Visiting Guest
burning oil

i just got a white riding lawnmower with a briggs and straton 11.5hp. I would like some suggestions on how to fix the problem of burning oil. It only burns it when mowing or driving on a slope to either side. oil level is right on the money as far as the dipstick goes. I just got the thing so I havent had a chance to really look into it. thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-02, 08:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello tstokka!

Piston rings are the main cause of burning oil. You may need to replace the rings, but when the engine gets disassembled, check everything. I would replace the piston and rod also, as by the time the engine needs rings, the rod and piston usually have plenty of wear on them. Replace all gaskets and seals too. And the governor.

Old 07-12-02, 04:29 AM
Cheese

I don't think it's the rings. Sounds like oil is getting in the carb from the engine being tilted. This happens all of the time with smaller lawn mowers when they are tilted and then oil gets in the carb and they smoke like the dickens when then start. I have alos seen them not start at all because of the amount of oil that gets in there.

Old 07-12-02, 07:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree with you garywms. I read the post the first time to mean when mowing.....and when driving on a slope. (2 different occasions). After re-reading, I see it means either mowing on a slope, or driving on a slope.

Old 07-15-02, 07:44 PM
tstokka
Visiting Guest
it is oil getting into the carburator. what causes it to get there? It was a gradual (sp) thing. I talked with the previous owner and he said it started about a year ago with just a little puff of smoke, now on a slight grade it looks like i'm spraying for mosquitos

Old 07-15-02, 09:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The PCV valve could be bad or stuck. Also, check your cooling fins around the cylinder under the sheet metal cover. Are they full of dirt and trash? Is your air filter clean, or dirty and oil-soaked?

Old 07-22-02, 07:14 PM
tstokka
Visiting Guest
thanks for the help. I changed the pc valve and it still smoked. then i turned to the filter, new one fixed it. thanks again for the help, would have taken me a lot longer to figure it out without your help.

Old 07-22-02, 09:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Anytime Glad you got it going!