Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mower will not start

Visiting Guest

07-13-02, 08:55 AM   #1  
Ryan7293
Mower will not start

I Have a Briggs and Stratton(Yazoo, walk behind)model #124782.
it will not start..I change the air filter, checked the spark plug, changed the gas and oil and it still will not start.... if anyone could help me troubleshoot this problem I would appreciate it..Thanx

Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus

CAL

07-13-02, 08:46 PM   #2  
Hello Ryan7293. Welcome to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

When an engine simply fails to start, the cause is most likely no spark at the spark plug. There could be any number of reasons why there would be no spark.

Most likely the spark plug is defective or fouled. The easiest fix is to replace the plug with a new one and retry starting the engine.

If changing the plug fails to provide any spark and the engine still won't start, check for a grounded on/off switch or lever. Usually these parts are located on the engine and operated by the throttle speed control lever secured on the handle.

If there is spark to the plug, there may not be any fuel getting into the carb or the carb is gummed up. If this happens to be the case, remove the spark plug, add a few drops of fuel into the spark plug hole and reinstall the spark plug. Attempt to start the engine.

If the engine starts briefly and dies, the carb is gummed up or it's not getting fuel. Check the fuel lines, fuel filter and fuel flow rate by removing the fuel hose at the carb.

The rest of the information pertaining to your topic is contained within other postings on this same subject.

Most likely this is not all of the potential problems. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals and moderators, may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back several times for additional replies.

Read the manufacturers web site for problem possibilities, causes and solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair proceedures and instructions, pictorials and schematics, which may be available online.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask another question on this topic, etc. Using the above method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards and Good Luck, Small Engine Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Efficient Services....
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Search this Thread