Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ignition Spark Problem

Visiting Guest

07-09-02, 12:45 PM   #1  
mrcoffee4
do i need jaw puller to replace the armature assemble pull

do i need a jaw gear puller to replace the armature assembly? i have a sears craftsman riding mower ad i can start it but it spits n sputters when it gets warmed up i make 2 passes through my yard and it quits running.will the armature assembly cause this
==============

Forum Moderators Note:

For the benefit of all the topic readers, the subject has been merged with the orginal topic. Additional questions on this orginal topic should be posted using the REPLY button. In doing so, it allows an easier method of categorizing the topic and following along in the discussion.

Web Site Host & Moderator
Tom_B

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 07-13-02 at 05:34 AM.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-09-02, 06:49 PM   #2  
52chevytrk
If you try to pry it up with a screwdriver you will and probably crack the flywheel. There is a special puller that most part stores or small engine repair and sales that can be purchased for about $5.00. Hope this will help you out. Take it from experence, I broke one one time. That was enough because they are not cheep.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-09-02, 08:36 PM   #3  
Hello mrcoffee4!

The armature is held on with 2 screws. Once they are removed, the armature just lifts off. The flywheel must be removed with a puller, as mentioned in the previous post. A bad armature or flywheel are not likely, and don't normally cause this kind of problem.

However, there is a key that holds the flywheel in place on the crankshaft that can shear off. If this happens, the engine's timing will be thrown out of adjustment. This usually only happens when the engine comes to a sudden halt....like when the blade hits a solid object.

Another possible reason for sputtering is carburetor problems. Give us a little more detail about the operation of the engine, like does it do it all the time, only when hot, intermittently, etc...
Have you changed the spark plug?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

07-09-02, 10:13 PM   #4  
mrcoffee4
ty for your response chevy and cheese.
yes it doesit after i make 2 passes around my yard all the time.ihave switched spark plugs. it seems to do it only after it has been running a little while and is getting worse now. the armature wire was chewed up by mice so i thought maybe it was going bad or shorting out.
ty vm Larry

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-09-02, 11:26 PM   #5  
Ahh...ok. Now that we know the wire was chewed, it sounds like that is probably your problem. I would change it. Let us know how it goes.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

07-10-02, 01:28 AM   #6  
mrcoffee4
i will let you know maybe tomorrow ty hopefully thats it.

i put the armature assembly on but i am not gettin any spark to the spark plug. it only had 2 wires and the condensor if im not mistaking they all hooked up to the same place. and the ground wire is hooked up to a screw on top of the assemlly where it was.coould this be an electrical problem in the ignition.and is there anywhere i cac get a digram to see that i have it hooked up right ty vm Larry.

Last edited by mrcoffee4; 07-12-02 at 10:38 AM.

Visiting Guest

07-13-02, 01:39 AM   #7  
mrcoffee4
armature assembly

i put in the armature but im not getting any spark.
could it be my ignition is bad.i can go to solenoid n jump it but still wont start.if im not mistaken there was 2wires and the condensor all hooked up to the pointsand a ground wire to a screw. is there anywhere i can get a diagram of the engine on here. ty vm Larry

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-14-02, 08:56 PM   #8  
Remove the ground wire and try to start it. If it runs you will have to touch that wire to bare matal on the engine or frame to kill the engine. If that does it, you have a safety switch problem, ignition switch problem, or the kill wire is shorted somewhere.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

07-16-02, 10:25 AM   #9  
mrcoffee4
still not getting any spark

i reolaced the armature and put in a new ignition switch.i can hold the spark plug wire and not get shocked or feel a tingle.i am lost now dont know why im not getting any spark to the plug.is there anywhere i can get a diagram of the electricl wiring and engine it is a briggs$stratton. this is a sears craftsman riding mower LTV10 with briggs&stratton engine 10 hp. ty vm larry

Last edited by mrcoffee4; 07-16-02 at 12:00 PM.

Visiting Guest

07-16-02, 11:31 AM   #10  
mrcoffee4
Re: armature assembly

Originally posted by mrcoffee4
i put in the armature but im not getting any spark.
could it be my ignition is bad.i can go to solenoid n jump it but still wont start.if im not mistaken there was 2wires and the condensor all hooked up to the pointsand a ground wire to a screw. is there anywhere i can get a diagram of the engine on here. ty vm Larry
i put a new ignition and armature ass'y on still dont have any spark. i tried taking the ground wire off didnt make any difference.i can hold the spark plug wire and won get shocked or even a tingle could it be a bad condensor and points.ty vm for responding to my questionsand i think i messed up i posted this question on as new sry.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-16-02, 07:30 PM   #11  
You may have bad points, misadjusted points, bad condenser, bad point cam follower. What I would suggest is connecting an aftermarket electronic ignition module. They are cheap, reliable, and easy to install. You don't even have to mess with the points to install one, just clip the wires and install the module. This way, you don't have to worry about points, adjustments, etc...

God bless!

Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

07-17-02, 08:00 PM   #12  
NOTE TO: mrcoffee4

Please do not use the ask a new question button on the orginal topic. Kindly use the REPLY button while on the same topic. Doing so allows the other forum readers and the professionals posting replies to more easily follow along.

Thanks
Forum Host & Small Engine Topic Moderator

Visiting Guest

07-20-02, 07:33 AM   #13  
mrcoffee4
i have spark now all i did was take it apart and put it back together the same way. maybe there was a loose in the connection i dint know. the engine still wont start it acts like it isnt getting gas but the plug is getting wet.i think it is in the carb. now ty all very much may have tro put this thing out to pasture.ty Larry

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 07-20-02 at 12:43 PM.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-21-02, 12:18 AM   #14  
Sounds like your carb is flooding. It shouldn't be too hard to fix if you want to. Since you're this far into it, I would reccomend replacing the float, needle, and seat, and clean out the carb. That should get it running if the ignition is in time.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

07-21-02, 07:36 PM   #15  
mrcoffee4
Originally posted by cheese
Sounds like your carb is flooding. It shouldn't be too hard to fix if you want to. Since you're this far into it, I would reccomend replacing the float, needle, and seat, and clean out the carb. That should get it running if the ignition is in time.

OK i will try cleaning the carberator n getting a new float and needle and seat ty Cheese appreciate the response . i will let you know when i have a chance to do it. Larry

Search this Thread